Talk

Advanced search

Help with icing

(3 Posts)
onedream Wed 12-Dec-18 10:36:10

Hello I'm looking for a bit of advise..I'm baking a Victoria sponge cake next week with strawberry jam and planning to cover it with icing..do I use just a normal vanilla buttercream for under the icing or should I make ganache as I read it's more firmer? If so..do I use it between the layers too or do I make separate buttercream and separate ganache for outside of the cake?
I have also found a recipe for white chocolate buttercream but will it go with the jam and the sponge?
Any advise welcome I have never done iced cake before..

JellySlice Tue 18-Dec-18 22:49:12

I would put a generous layer of buttercream in the middle, and a stingy layer of the same buttercream all over the outside. Then put the cake in the fridge for the buttercream to firm up while you clean up and prepare the icing. Overnight is fine, too.

The outer layer of buttercream really should be stingy. It is there purely to stick the cake crumbs down and make the cake sticky so that the icing will adhere to the cake. (I presume you mean Regalice or similar, not piping icing?)

You can do ganache, but it's not necessary.

JellySlice Tue 18-Dec-18 22:52:44

White chocolate buttercream is heavenly, and goes very well with jam and spongecake.

I've just made a cake using white chocolate buttercream, and came online to post a question about it myself! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »