Talk

Advanced search

Quick question re Christmas cake batter

(2 Posts)
Bananabus Thu 29-Nov-18 20:29:26

Help! I started making my Christmas cake this afternoon but got disrupted when DS wanted to breastfeed all afternoon. The batter is all made but I don’t have time to bake it tonight (with a 12 week old baby, I’m going to bed really soon!)

Can I chill it in the fridge tonight and bake tomorrow? Will I need to give it longer in the oven?

TIA!

4merlyknownasSHD Fri 30-Nov-18 12:23:50

I don't think you will necessarily need to cook for that much longer as Christmas Cakes are generally a long slow cook at a low temperature anyway, but you will presumably test in the usual way before the advised cooking time is up and gauge it from there? If it does need longer I would make sure that you cover the top to prevent burning and, maybe double line (or wrap brown paper or corrugated card round the outside) to insulate it so the outside doesn't burn. Best to do that before putting in the oven, although as it is now lunchtime I guess you have done it by now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »