Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cupcakes - icing answer needed before I make sludgy mess!

(10 Posts)
Lucycat Fri 22-Jun-07 12:52:22

I've made cupcakes for d's school fair tomorrow - if I use ordinary icing and decorate with smarties today then will the colour run by tomorrow?

can i use buttercream icing and smarties?

or something else?

Sue372 Fri 22-Jun-07 12:53:41

buttercream and icing then keep somewhere chilled I think

Lucycat Fri 22-Jun-07 12:58:29

are smarties likely to run all over my buttercream <<<worried at people laughing at my cakes>>>>

Sue372 Fri 22-Jun-07 13:00:51

They run if you put them on very 'wet' icing. If you do a fairly thick buttercream mix I would have thought it will be ok. Make it up now, make a tester and try it out if you're really worried! Oh and of course you'll be forced to try the tester, for quality control purposes

PandaG Fri 22-Jun-07 13:01:28

yes colour can sometimes run with Smarties. How about buttercream and choc buttons instead?

Or, if you already have smarties, make up buttercream ready, and put in a piping bag in the fridge. Will be a 5 min job in the morning to pipe a swirl of icing and stick smarties on. No icing bag, make up in bowl and put clingfilm on the surface so it doesn't crust over.

wurlywurly Fri 22-Jun-07 13:01:51

as long as you dont make the icing too wet the colour wont run

Speccy Fri 22-Jun-07 13:02:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PandaG Fri 22-Jun-07 13:02:38

colours aren't as strong now on Smarties are they? tbh I agree withSue, thick butter cream should be ok, but you coulod do as I suggest to make sure!

Lucycat Fri 22-Jun-07 13:27:46

Thanks!! might just go with the choc buttons and eat the Smarties with a bottle of wine tonight - classy my

I know it's going to be really busy in the morning as we have to set the fair up, but I might be able to pipe a swirl in the morning!

yep moist icing seems to be my problem

Speccy Fri 22-Jun-07 13:29:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now