Talk

Advanced search

Need a way of preparing salmon that's guaranteed to be a hit with children please

(16 Posts)
Earlybird Thu 21-Jun-07 19:49:03

DD is historically an extremely picky eater. However, much to my amazement she came home from school earlier this week raving about the salmon served for lunch at school. She has even asked that I buy some for her at home.

I promise you, if I had served salmon to her at home first, she would have turned her nose up and pushed it away after the tiniest bite. But, now am very excited that I have the opportunity to expand her limited food repertoire.

How do you prepare salmon so that children love it?

nickytwotimes Thu 21-Jun-07 19:49:38

open the tin?

Chopster Thu 21-Jun-07 19:50:09

mine eat it on bagels with philly, or in a pasta salad.

wurlywurly Thu 21-Jun-07 19:50:46

have a look on school dinners site and see what sort of dish it was, ours normally have salmon fishcakes

Desiderata Thu 21-Jun-07 19:52:27

In the same way that adults do!

Bake it in foil, in the oven for about 20 mins. Take the skin off before serving. A dollop of butter (unless you're against it), with some new potatoes and greens on the side.

It's a great, chunky old fish (and so cheap these days). I'm delighted that your dd likes it ... (fingers crossed, of course).

I don't know if she likes sweet stuff, but perhaps a dollop of chutney or something on the side might ease the 'fishiness' of it.

Good news, though. For a picky eater, salmon's a good find. So good for her!

TrinityRhino Thu 21-Jun-07 19:53:34

dd1 did exactly this

we just bake it in foil in the oven and remove the skin for her
she loves it

DrippingLizzie Thu 21-Jun-07 19:54:20

Salmon fish fingers...cut fresh salmon into thick strips, dip in warmed Philadelphia cheese and then roll in fresh breadcrumbs. Grill for about 15 mins or until cooked through.

You could use egg instead of Philly but DS and DD both have egg allergies

tiredemma Thu 21-Jun-07 19:55:50

I mix mine with tomato based pasta sauce and do it with pasta twists for the boys ( all flaked up)

they love it.

snowleopard Thu 21-Jun-07 19:55:52

If she doesn't object to mixed-together foods, she might like fish pie - mix cooked, broken-up salmon with white sauce (and you can also add veg such as sauteed courgette and mushrooms) and put in an oven dish, then put mashed potato on top and bake. We make this for ourselves and DS has it the next day.

Earlybird Thu 21-Jun-07 20:08:04

I know if I make it at home, and present her with a version she does not like, we will be back to 'off the menu' for salmon at home. So thanks very much for your ideas.

Pidge Thu 21-Jun-07 20:15:08

For my kids I often poach it - cover in cold water in a small pan /frying pan, bring to just below simmering and cook through (don't boil it like crazy, the water doesn't even need to bubble).

This is a sure fire way of keeping it moist. Also it seems less prone to overcooking.

Just stick a knife in the middle occasionally until it looks done.

Yum.

Earlybird Fri 22-Jun-07 06:48:45

Pidge - sounds great and easy. Do you put anything in the water to flavour the salmon a bit? Or once cooked, do your dc dip the salmon in any kind of sauce?

Pidge Fri 22-Jun-07 09:22:21

I don't put anything in the water. And my kids will eat salmon without any sauce. I do the same for white fish, and then I might poach it in milk or serve with a cheese sauce.

colditz Fri 22-Jun-07 09:29:14

bake it in the oven in foil.

tip - only buy a small piece for her, as the chances are you won't get it 'right'

Enid Fri 22-Jun-07 11:36:08

i do drippinglizzies one but with egg not philly

v popular

Earlybird Sun 24-Jun-07 10:42:19

These all sound fantastic.

A friend told me yesterday about how she cuts filets into chunks, then marinades all day or overnight in honey. She grills until done, and says the honey caramelises. Her children love it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now