Talk

Advanced search

How do you make chapatis? I've got wholemeal flour <hopeful>

(23 Posts)
MamaG Thu 21-Jun-07 13:00:27

willywonka Thu 21-Jun-07 13:09:09

Am sure dh just makes a dough from flour, salt, water & a drop of oil (no measurements, just add water until it's right consistency). He prefers to cook them directly on the gas ring of the hob but has been known to use a hot frying pan with no oil if you don't have gas. HTH

Aitch Thu 21-Jun-07 13:10:22

ooooh, good one mamag. <smacks lips>

Greensleeves Thu 21-Jun-07 13:11:54

what's the right consistency though? Is it a pourable liquid, or do you roll out chapati shapes?

MamaG Thu 21-Jun-07 13:13:31

what gs said

GREENSLEEVES - was it you that did a microwave spongy pudding thing with jam? Ican't find it and have serached

Aitch Thu 21-Jun-07 13:14:13

my pal's mum has a cool wire thing that she puts chapatis into on the gas ring. <thinks> so they must be roll-outable. i can ask chum's mum if no recipe is forthcoming.

Greensleeves Thu 21-Jun-07 13:16:52

yes, that's me

I am of limited use to you though, because I don't really do measurements - but just make up a basic sponge mix (I use two eggs instead of one for a really puddingy consistency, or a bit of suet). Melt a few tablespoons of jam in a saucepan with a bit of lemon juice, get it fairly liquidy so you can pour it (but not too watery). Pour it into the bottom of a pudding basin/dish, then spoon the cake mix into the middle. Then microwave it for about 5 minutes, depending on your microwave and the size of the dish (look through the window, if it looks done it'd done)

Also works with chocolate sauce/pineapples in syrup/treacle etc.

MamaG Thu 21-Jun-07 13:18:22

Thanks! er basic spone mix - like for a sponge cake?

Greensleeves Thu 21-Jun-07 13:18:45

yes!!

MamaG Thu 21-Jun-07 13:19:22

hurrah thanks!

Greensleeves Thu 21-Jun-07 13:19:47

equal amounts of flour, butter and sugar, and 2 eggs (for a normal pudding dish/cake tin). And a tsp of baking powder if you have it...

fishie Thu 21-Jun-07 13:20:55

you'd be aiming for a softish dough i should think, not so wet you can't do anyting with it, but not all dry and stiff. genearlly speakign the wetter a dough the softer the result.

Blu Thu 21-Jun-07 13:22:55

I have never attempted this, but the consistency should be duoghy enough to sort of 'pat out' like pizza dough. MIL sort of pats themn from hand to hand making them thinnner and thinner - like proper pizza-makers do. I'm sure you could roll them out, too - but i think the patting is part of the kneading process, so make sure well kneaded.

willywonka Thu 21-Jun-07 13:25:07

re: consistency, do as blu says.

Aitch Thu 21-Jun-07 13:29:13

nope, i'm sorry, i need measurements. even cups will do.

MamaG Thu 21-Jun-07 16:24:50

CHAPATTIS

1 cup of chapatti Flour
1 tbsp margarine
Boiling hot water

Put chapatti flour into a bowl and mix in margarine with your hands.
Add boiling hot water to mix and keep kneading with your hands until you get a soft dough.
Roll into a golf ball sized ball.
Roll out onto a board and using a rolling pin roll until flat and round.
Place on a plate and continue till the mixture is all gone.
Fry chapattis on a hot pan until bubbles appear.
Flip and do the same on the other side.
Rub with butter and cook the next one.
Enjoy with curry and rice.

AITCH -0 this is from teh NIck Junior website (lol) = not sure how big teh cup should be thought <slight panic>

MamaG Fri 22-Jun-07 10:41:36

I made them. They were delicious. Just not very round looked a bit like doilies around teh edge

Enid Fri 22-Jun-07 10:42:55

I make these

if you change to white flour they aer what I use as tortilla wraps

willywonka Fri 22-Jun-07 10:44:44

MamaG - they always taste better when not perfectly round

MamaG Fri 22-Jun-07 10:54:17

oh thats a good idea Enid - I always buy tortillas but I'll try that.

Mercy Fri 22-Jun-07 11:03:32

Don't use margarine - use oil (or ghee) instead (as per willywonka's dh)

See if you can hold of a tava to cook them on!

Enid Fri 22-Jun-07 11:21:56

sorry yes I use oil

admylin Fri 22-Jun-07 14:46:38

When I first started making these the Indians we had round for dinner used to say my chapatis looked like a map of India! I can get them round now but only after years of practise!
My SIL from Bangladesh could roll them out so that each chapati was identically round and perfect looking but she said she'd been doing it since she was 10 so she'd had time to learn!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now