Talk

Advanced search

yoghurt and babies

(20 Posts)
PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Wed 20-Jun-07 21:45:02

I am a complete ignoramus when it comes to yoghurt. Which ones are ok for babies? I presume natural yoghurt with home stewed fruit is the best option but failing that....??

moondog Wed 20-Jun-07 21:45:40

Exactly what you say.Steer clear of owt else.Invariably crap.

Pixiefish Wed 20-Jun-07 21:45:49

I gave my dd organic Yeo Valley yoghurt- the one marketed for kids- from when she was about 8 months old

moondog Wed 20-Jun-07 21:49:05

Llaeth y Llan is the best I reckon Pixie.
Keeping it local and all that.
(Decided on a name yet?)

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Wed 20-Jun-07 22:06:27

How do the yeo valley ones do sugar wise do you know?

What's 'Llaeth y Llan' or is that a code phrase for something??

moondog Wed 20-Jun-07 22:08:26

No,it is a North Walian one that's all and Pixie and i are in roughly same vicinity.
I personally only give my kids unsweetened yoghurt so I just lokk for stuff that is plain and live.You can get 500g cartons for less than 50p in Netto.

I like Onken though.

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Wed 20-Jun-07 22:24:35

I think that because i find plain yoghurt a bit rancid / acidic, I assumed baby would hate it. Perhaps not!!

aviatrix Wed 20-Jun-07 22:26:51

Message withdrawn

flibbertyjibbet Wed 20-Jun-07 22:40:45

Get the 'greek style' yoghurt, plain when small and weaning, then mix raisins, diced dried pineapple, etc mixed in when they are older, or just mashed banana or grated apple. Don't get a low fat version, get the full fat one, I use greek style as it tends to be more creamy and doesn't have that sharp natural yog taste that a baby wouldn't like.
All the big supermarkets do their own brand, and it works out a ton cheaper than those 'childrens' RIP OFF RIP OFF yoghurts and fromage frais.
In fact its so yummy that I've just had a little bowl of it with raisins and sesame seeds mixed in, slurp.

Pixiefish Thu 21-Jun-07 08:18:04

She gets Llaeth y Llan in Holland Arms Moondog but it's not organic so I tend to give her Yeo Valley. Not decided ona name yet although I have a few in mind

MrsCurly Thu 21-Jun-07 08:37:32

The plain Yeo valley yoghurt is delicious - nothing like that rancid, acidic taste other youghurts have.

I read this here on Mumsnet about four years ago and it was fantastic advice. Have always given the girls just plain yoghurt with fruit. They love it. Have become a complete yoghurt Nazi now...

smallwhitecat Thu 21-Jun-07 08:57:40

Message withdrawn

Chirpygirl Thu 21-Jun-07 09:13:14

I hate plain yoghurt, it's gross and boring, but DD loves it and won't have any of the 'children's' yoghurts put in front of her. I dollop a load in a cup and then dump in chopped fruit, raisins or honey if she is being very good!

TheApprentice Thu 21-Jun-07 09:19:02

I think "Rachel"s does kids organic fruit yoghurts that are sweetened with fruit juice rather than sugar. Can have them from 6 months I think.

PutThatInYourPipeandSmokeIt Thu 21-Jun-07 20:42:27

oh cool - thank you all - I will go the yeo valley route unless it's rejected!

mrsbabookaloo Mon 25-Jun-07 16:58:27

I give my 1 year old the "kids" fromage frais from Sainsbury's. They're sweetened with grape juice, not sugar, and don't seem to have anything scary in them. Not organic, unfortunately. Yummy though, and in little pots.

halogen Thu 05-Jul-07 21:35:14

I second greek yoghurt - my daughter loathed the normal kind but loves this. If you can't be arsed to stew fruit then just use some of the pots of fruit to mix with it. Organix do a huge range.

pinkspottywellies Thu 05-Jul-07 22:06:17

I have MILs old yoghurt maker - my mum had one too when we were little. You use a tiny bit of bought yoghurt (I use yeo valley but dd doesn't like it as it comes) and UHT milk and the machine heats it up for about 8 hours. Then Hey Presto, yoghurt! I also add a couple of drops of vanilla extract to some of it. Then serve with fruit usually.

feetheart Thu 05-Jul-07 22:14:47

Greek style yoghurt makes good finger food too as its much thicker- well both my think so

feetheart Thu 05-Jul-07 22:15:18

my 'two' - must go to bed!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: