Talk

Advanced search

Christmas cake split in half

(8 Posts)
Bigtom Sat 10-Nov-18 21:57:36

I spent all day today making my Christmas cake - I left it in the tin for 30 minutes and then when I transferred it to the cooling rack it split in half. I’m gutted. Will it be ok once covered in marzipan and icing??

OP’s posts: |
Singlenotsingle Sat 10-Nov-18 22:00:11

Superglue it first! grin

Tattybear16 Sat 10-Nov-18 22:01:43

Should be ok, warm some apricot jam and cement it together. Then a thin layer of apricot jam on the outside before you cover with marzipan.

DramaAlpaca Sat 10-Nov-18 22:02:14

Yep, marzipan & icing will disguise a multitude of sins. You won't be able to tell.

Chamomile Sat 10-Nov-18 22:02:38

That happened to me once ( when I used gluten free flour). I used some melted apricot jam to sandwich/ squish it together and then carried on with marzipan and icing as usual. It was fine.

Bigtom Sat 10-Nov-18 22:05:00

Thank you @Tattybear16 - would you do the apricot jam sticking immediately before doing the marzipan?

Bigtom Sat 10-Nov-18 22:06:47

Thanks everyone, I’m very relieved!

Tattybear16 Sat 10-Nov-18 22:17:06

Yes warm the apricot jam in a saucepan on a low heat, then sieve out the lumps so it’s nice and smooth. Apply a thin layer to the broken halves and stick together, then cover the top and sides of your cake before you put your marzipan on. By the time you covered your cake in icing and put a nice ribbon on it, you’d never know about the damage.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »