Talk

Advanced search

Anyone struggled to go vegetarian (effects on digestive system!)

(7 Posts)
LoveBeingAMum555 Sun 04-Nov-18 21:48:34

Hi all

I have always eaten lots of veggies and occasionally beans/lentils as part of a varied diet. I decided a couple of weeks ago to cut down meat, the plan is to eventually eat a mostly vegetarian diet, partly because I have never enjoyed meat that much and partly for health reasons.

I am loving the dishes I am creating but my stomach is quite unsettled, I expected to be going to the loo more (sorry if that's a bit too much detail) but I am getting indigestion/wind and my stomach generally feels rumbly and a bit bloated.

Is that normal? Do I just keep going? I am trying to mix up my diet and not eat pulses every day - I am also finding that too many onions and peppers doesnt agree with me.

Any advice? It's really frustrating.

OP’s posts: |
Blondie1984 Mon 05-Nov-18 01:38:37

Yep totally normal as you may well now be eating more fibre --> more gas and the advice is to increase slowly to give your body a chance to adjust

With regards to what to do, taking a probiotic supplement might help - and not having pulses everyday is a good shout too (if you have tinned ones make sure you are rinsing them thoroughly) and not having too much of your fruit/veg raw might help too

It can take a few weeks for your body to adjust so just a waiting game

LoveBeingAMum555 Mon 05-Nov-18 13:01:24

Thanks, didn't think about rinsing tinned beans so will start doing that! I just needed a bit of reassurance that this is normal and will settle down. Will research supplements too.

NewToRenting Tue 06-Nov-18 17:49:24

Are you eating any particular food daily, that your system doesn't agree with? I'm a lifelong vegetarian but my body reacts like that to kale and raw papaya.

LoveBeingAMum555 Tue 06-Nov-18 20:22:14

Thanks, its odd because the last couple of days I have been absolutely fine, last night I had veggie shepherds pie and today mushroom risotto. I also had beans on toast for lunch today.

If it doesnt settle down I am going to see if there is any connection between what I eat and how my stomach feels.

Blondie1984 Wed 07-Nov-18 01:36:06

It would also be worth tracking your mood - I find that my digestion isn't great on days when I'm anxious or stressed and seems to struggle with certain foods

WoodAnemone Wed 07-Nov-18 11:09:24

I think it's completely normal when you eat lots of veggies. We've been whole-food vegans for a couple of years (for health reasons) and we still have occasional windy episodes. It helps to have smaller meals, eat slowly and chew food really well. Movement and exercise help too, even small things like taking the stairs or a ten minute walk.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »