Talk

Advanced search

Pizza dough

(5 Posts)
Suresurelah Sun 04-Nov-18 01:18:48

So I’ve started making my own pizza dough. So far I’ve used Jamie’s Oliver’s recipe but it was quite dense.

What are the best recipes you used? What’s the secret to it?

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
Letsmove1t Sun 04-Nov-18 01:25:38

I use the one off the Allinsons strong bread flour packet everytime. Am on the vino so unable to stagger to kitchen for quantities, but it's flour, salt, quick yeast, warm water and olive oil. Secret is water temperature for the yeast - warm enough to activate it but not hot enough to kill it and leave in a warm place for an hour for the yeast to proove and the dough to swell. Njoy

CommanderDaisy Sun 04-Nov-18 01:36:31

The best one I have found was from a foodie magazine years back.
Its -
3 cups of good quality unbleached flour ( or the 000 - pizza flour if you can find it)
1 x 7g packet of yeast
1 cup of warm water
large pinch of salt
1/4-1/3 cup of olive oil ( light flavoured one)

Put yeast and water together in mixing bowl ( helps if you have a mixer with a dough hook). Leave for a minute.
Alternatively add ( while mixing) flour, salt and oil.
Keep mixing till the dough is stretchy and doesn't break when you pull it ( about 5-8 minutes in mixer on medium)
Oil a large metal bowl and put the dough into it , in a warm place for about 40 minutes , covered with a tea towel - to rise.
Split into two, knead each part for 5 minutes with a sprinkle of flour and leave to rise for another 20 minutes.
Flour the pizza tray, don't oil it, and you can prick the base once rolled out and on the tray a few times with a fork.
Works perfectly each time. Not too heavy at all.
Put the bulk of the cheese on after the tomato base, not on the top of everything. Just add a tiny sprinkle to the top after all ingredients are added. And remember less is better with pizza toppings.

TeddyIsaHe Sun 04-Nov-18 01:44:50

I just mix equal quantities of greek yogurt with plain flour, salt and a glug of good olive oil, mix till smooth and soft and roll out. Makes excellent tangy pizza bases, takes about 5 minutes and no fuss! They’re not dense either.

Eloisedublin123 Sun 04-Nov-18 09:20:21

I do the same as teddy but with no olive oil 🤣

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »