Talk

Advanced search

Sweet no bits soup

(13 Posts)
Lauraadele18 Mon 29-Oct-18 13:09:25

Hi ladies,

Can anyone recommend a sweet tasting healthy soup that has no bits. The kiddies like heinz chicken, oxtail, tomato etc but i dont like all the preservatives in it and would like to make a healthier veg soup. Trouble is they taste earthy or they are thick and bits in which they won't eat.

I have googled for recipes but keep getting sweet potatoe recipes as soon as i mention sweet soup.

Any suggestions welcome

Thanks xx

OP’s posts: |
LIZS Mon 29-Oct-18 13:12:34

Butternut squash, carrot?

Bubblysqueak Mon 29-Oct-18 13:13:23

Sweet potato and butternut squash is nice.

paap1975 Mon 29-Oct-18 13:14:24

Carrot and orange?
Parsnip and apple?
Blended with a stick blender

Meet0nTheIedge Mon 29-Oct-18 13:18:10

Mary Berry's butternut squash and red pepper is nice.

SwaylorTift Mon 29-Oct-18 13:24:28

Pea and ham is surprisingly sweet and can be blended totally smooth. I make mine using frozen peas.

Mummaluelae Mon 29-Oct-18 13:31:14

Pumpkin potato and carrot
Sweet potato chicken and celery

karmakameleon Mon 29-Oct-18 13:38:50

If you're worried about preservatives, Heinz tomato soup doesn't have any. It's the canning process that give the longer self like rather than chemical preservatives.

Ingredients here: www.heinz.co.uk/products/soup/ranges/classics/cream-of-tomato

karmakameleon Mon 29-Oct-18 13:40:12

Obviously if it's sugar that's the concern, that doesn't help but I don't think you'll be able make something that competes without the sweetness.

IHeartKingThistle Mon 29-Oct-18 13:41:40

Mine are very into leek and potato with feta crumbled on top.

Gazelda Mon 29-Oct-18 15:46:51

Sweet potato and caramelised red onion.

BluthsFrozenBananas Mon 29-Oct-18 15:54:34

Parsnip and apple or carrot and orange are very sweet. If bits are a huge issue id blend then put through a sieve. Adding single cream or full fat milk reduces thickness without the soup getting too watery.

Twotabbycats Mon 29-Oct-18 16:02:45

I do one with carrot, onion, leek and lentils (sometimes I add sweet potatoes but it still tastes sweet without them). Cook in veg stock. Season with tomato purée, oregano, thyme, paprika (all or whichever you fancy). Blitz till smooth.

I think the secret is to use lots of veg and just cover with stock so there is a high veg-stock ratio.

Pea and courgette with mint is nice too, or pea and broccoli. I cook the peas separately in a tiny bit of stock first, then purée them before adding to other ingredients for a smoother texture. Then blitz everything at the end.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »