Talk

Advanced search

Scone help needed!

(7 Posts)
BellaMoo Sat 20-Oct-18 16:44:33

After another batch of tasty but flat scones (well not flat but they definitely didn’t rise very much at all) I’m not sure what i’m doing wrong?

Following a Mary Berry recipe and definitely not twisting the cutter. Any tips?!

OP’s posts: |
jenthelibrarian Sat 20-Oct-18 16:48:07

I was always hopeless at scones until I tried this version, which is weird but it is absolutely brilliant, never fails

www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/food/recipes/a560998/cheats-lemonade-scones/

MsMightyTitanAndHerTroubadours Sat 20-Oct-18 16:53:49

don't roll them out and don't work the dough, get it together quickly, it needs to be a soft wet dough but not sticky and claggy

just pat the dough out gently, never use a rolling pin.

that lemonade scone recipe is fab...I already posted my version on here this morning. Mine is 3/1/1cups SRflour/double cream/lemonade, plus a handful of fat sultanas and some sugar if you like them sweet.
(or grated cheese and some herbs if you want cheese scones)

BellaMoo Sat 20-Oct-18 16:58:14

Brilliant! Thank you both, will give this a try!

OP’s posts: |
Lwmommy Sat 20-Oct-18 17:00:21

Also push the cutter down straight, don't twist it or the don't rise as well they bulge out at the sides.

CountTessa Sat 20-Oct-18 18:27:17

Nigella has a great recipe from her Domestic goddess book I think it's Lily's scones. Lots of cream of tartar and not rolling out pastry. Push it down with the heel of your hand till it's about an inch thick helps too.

maimeo Sun 21-Oct-18 21:17:12

Would you mind explaining what you mean by lemonade please?! Posting from Ireland here and wondering if what we have is the same. Do you mean like 7 up?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »