Talk

Advanced search

Please help with easy recipes for veggie teen daughter

(9 Posts)
fishhavefeelingstoo Fri 19-Oct-18 12:06:23

My dd17 is vegetarian and dairy intolerant. We're both struggling with depression at the moment and cooking hasn't been a priority but I'd like to help her eat better. She's tall and quite thin although not underweight. Currently lives off pasta and bagels with cream cheese (lactofree). She's quite picky, not keen on quorn.

Any suggestions for REALLY easy meals, preferably not expensive as we're on a tight budget?

Maybe something I can cook enough of to last a few days? Currently i make pasta bake (again lactose free) but i think she needs variation.

TIA smile flowers

OP’s posts: |
PinkHeart5914 Fri 19-Oct-18 12:18:58

Veg chilli? (Use chickpeas, kidney beans, butter beans, peppers, onions, chopped tomatoes, tom purée slices & herbs) have one night with jacket potato, one night with rice or broccoli rice and cheese (vegan cheese would be dairy free? Not sure how it would taste though)

Sweet potato & chickpea Curry made using coconut milk? Have with Bombay spiced potatoes one night, rice another

Lentil cottage pie? Have with extra steamed veg

Pasta with veg (courgette, red onion, peppers) in a tomato and chilli sauce?

fishhavefeelingstoo Fri 19-Oct-18 12:25:41

Thanks.

Sorry didn't want to drip feed. She doesn't like jacket potatoes or egg. I'm trying to think what she eats when out with friends, I think mainly veggie burgers, mushroom burgers, pizza (but doesn't like store bought pizza!) and pasta. At home she only eats pasta bake and bagels and hm cake, sometimes apples and bananas. Ive bought her multivitamin supplement which she sometimes takes. I'm just worried she's not getting all she needs. Maybe I need to make sure there are more easy snacks in the house.

lastqueenofscotland Fri 19-Oct-18 13:40:12

Does she like falafel? In a wrap with a bit of hummous, chopped pepper and salad.
Veg fajitas
Mushrooms on toast
Wedges and salsa
Cous cous salads
Veggie sausages with mash and peas

maxelly Fri 19-Oct-18 16:16:58

If she likes mushroom burgers those are easy to do at home, just take a large flat grilled mushroom, brush or drizzle a little oil over and grill or fry until soft. Serve in a bun with your choice of toppings - my favourite is hallomoui and chilli jam a la nandos - perhaps you can find a lacto-free hard cheese to sub in?

Will she eat baked beans? My go to super-easy/quick veggie meal is beans on toast which is actually quite nutritionally balanced - you can stir through BBQ or chilli sauce to vary it up a bit.

Joinourclub Fri 19-Oct-18 16:21:24

My quickest meals:

Veg fajitas
Roasted veg with tomatoes and pasta
Stir fried greens with pasta
Dal with rice
Stir fried veg with noodles

hypatiently Fri 19-Oct-18 17:02:47

Some ideas:

www.lecremedelacrumb.com/baked-sweet-sour-cauliflower/

www.theendlessmeal.com/easy-vegetarian-chili-recipe/

www.budgetbytes.com/black-bean-avocado-enchiladas/

www.marthastewart.com/336550/15-minute-white-bean-soup?fbclid=IwAR3R57BN_TG7nA6YxalF5xfzFrTZr7aSYEQpbq2vpFpaG1XAD6XQLetAsqw

www.budgetbytes.com/soy-marinated-tofu-bowls-spicy-peanut-sauce/

www.thekitchn.com/recipe-3-bean-israeli-couscous-salad-230120

www.budgetbytes.com/vegan-winter-lentil-stew/

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/234607/moroccan-mushrooms-with-couscous

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/curried-udon-soup

Frozen bean burgers are always good too!

Hoppinggreen Fri 19-Oct-18 21:37:54

My teen is veggie but allergic to Quorn abs won’t eat eggs or fish. A few of her favourite meals
Halloumi burgers
Stuffed peppers
Breaded paneer fingers
Pepper and Tofu noodles
Paneer Rosti
Paneer and spinach curry
Chickpea curry
Veg curry Indian snacks such as samosas and pakora
Courgette and broccoli soup
Stir fried rice with veg and tofu
Quinoa salad

fishhavefeelingstoo Fri 19-Oct-18 23:19:34

Thanks smile She likes falafel, not keen on chickpeas or veggie sausages.

Some great ideas and recipes thanks. I'll try them out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »