Talk

Advanced search

Please help! I don't have the right sugar

(11 Posts)
NightOwl101 Mon 15-Oct-18 13:41:12

I'm attempting to bake a cake and the recipe says to use golden caster sugar which I thought I had but just got everything out and I have light muscovado instead. Can I use this or will it ruin my cake and if I can then do I use the same quantities?

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
NannyR Mon 15-Oct-18 13:46:17

I've made cakes with light muscavado before, it will be fine, it will give the cake a nice toffee taste. It probably won't be a light fluffy sponge, but definitely edible!

cloudtree Mon 15-Oct-18 13:48:53

I'd do half an half with muscavado and granulated

LiquoricePickle Mon 15-Oct-18 13:50:05

Granulated will work fine too. Or blitz granulated in the food processor.

TeddyIsaHe Mon 15-Oct-18 13:50:41

Have you got granulated? If so pulse it in a good processor to make it more caster-like. Light muscovado will result in a nice tasting cake, but it will be quite heavy.

MsMightyTitanAndHerTroubadours Mon 15-Oct-18 13:56:12

what sort of cake?
If it's a slightly burlier cake...carrot, fruit, tea bread then a straight swap will be fine but if you are doing something like a lemon drizzle, victoria sponge, whisked sponge then granulated will be fine rather than the muscovado

NightOwl101 Mon 15-Oct-18 14:11:13

Ive got normal sugar and caster sugar

pickingdaisies Mon 15-Oct-18 14:16:10

Some caster, some muscovado. Proportion depends on whether you want the light texture (more caster) or the slightly caramel untertone (more muscovado). Go on be brave!

NannyR Mon 15-Oct-18 14:20:39

If you've got normal white caster sugar I would use that, but swap a couple of tablespoons for muscavado to give it the taste and colour of golden caster sugar.

NightOwl101 Mon 15-Oct-18 14:47:16

That's brilliant thank you! No doubt I'll be back for more help soon I'm attempting to make a drip birthday cake

PaulMorel Thu 18-Oct-18 06:33:04

I've used light muscovado before and it turned out nice and edible. I also like the added taste of the muscovado to my cake.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »