Talk

Advanced search

Porcini Mushroom Paste or Powder?

(3 Posts)
RebelWithoutaCause Sat 13-Oct-18 13:46:35

Waitrose are advertising a new recipe from their 'Beautifully Simple Range' called 'Creamy Bucatini with Mushrooms' , I really want to try it but my small local Waitrose had run out of the Porcini Powder specified in the recipe - I'm wondering if I can substitute some Porcini Mushroom Paste (with Truffle flavour oil) that I already have in my cupboard? All advice welcome. Also, will substituting ordinary spaghetti for Bucatini pasta be ok, or is that a substitution too far ?? !!

OP’s posts: |
DorotheaHomeAlone Sat 13-Oct-18 13:54:04

We made this last week. It was tasty but a bit bland. I’d say both those substitutions will work but advise you to up the quantities on all the flavourful ingredients (wine garlic porcini paste/powder) as otherwise the crime fraiche drowns then out. Plus lots of seasoning.

Lunaballoon Sat 13-Oct-18 16:47:52

Porchini paste sounds like a good substitute though I’ve never personally tried it. Is it similar to porchini stock cubes? They really turbo charge the flavour in any mushroom dish.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »