Talk

Advanced search

Quince glut

(38 Posts)
Weedsnseeds1 Thu 11-Oct-18 16:22:07

Hundreds of them! I need to pick them this weekend, but it's likely to be wet, so they won't store well.
Will make jam / jelly, membrillo, a few pies for the freezer, maybe a tagine ...
Chutney?
Any ideas what to do with the rest?

OP’s posts: |
Holymosquito Thu 11-Oct-18 16:25:58

quince marmalade, quince and cranberry preserve, quince cheese?

over50andfab Thu 11-Oct-18 16:29:24

Quince syrup or quince liqueurs? I haven’t tried them but there’s some Christmassy drinks recipes using quince.

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 11-Oct-18 16:38:18

Quince booze - of course grin
Excellent idea

ABitCrapper Thu 11-Oct-18 16:39:44

Crumble

TooMinty Thu 11-Oct-18 17:02:24

What does a quince look like? I have unidentified fruit on a bush in my front garden which I suspect might be quince...

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 11-Oct-18 17:48:18

A quince looks like a giant yellow pear.
As you say bush, rather than tree, they may be Japonicas, also sometimes called quinces but not related.
Did the bush have lots of red / salmon pink flowers?
They make amazing jelly ( also called jelly apples) and liqueurs, but not much else you can do with them
Post a photo?

HarrySinger Thu 11-Oct-18 17:52:18

Ottolenghi stuffs them with spiced lamb mince and pomegranate

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 11-Oct-18 18:01:52

These are quinces.
I'll look up that recipe Harry I have lamb mince in the freezer, I think.

Xiaoxiong Thu 11-Oct-18 18:03:01

Mostarda di Venezia, it's gorgeous with cold meat and you can give it away as Christmas presents. Nigella recipe attached!

Xiaoxiong Thu 11-Oct-18 18:04:04

Whoops forgot first two pages!

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 11-Oct-18 18:04:43

Also have a good crop of medlars this year!

CherryPavlova Thu 11-Oct-18 18:07:00

Yes we’ve had a bumper crop this year too. Luckily I needed to make 20 litres of Quince brandy which use up a good amount.
I’ve done some quince jelly too and I think it’s quite nice in apple pies.

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 11-Oct-18 18:07:32

Thank you xiaoxiong I've had Mostarda do Cremona before and it's lovely, so that's on the list for definite!!

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 11-Oct-18 18:11:10

And quince brandy goes on the list too - how many does 20 litres use? That's just one branch in the photo....
I gave some to my mother last year and she announced she was "just boiling them to a mush" so she's not getting any this year!

longwayoff Thu 11-Oct-18 18:36:58

I've never seen a medlar. What do you do with them? Jelly? Jam?

CherryPavlova Thu 11-Oct-18 18:55:13

I used eight in each 2 litre Kilner jar so only about 80. Rest went into jam/jelly for cheese or apple pies.

2 litres brandy, 2 star anise, 3 cinnamon sticks, 8 Quince, tablespoon Demerara. Leave for about three months turning regularly. Rebottle and keep ad infinitum.

TheSpottedZebra Thu 11-Oct-18 19:02:32

What on earth are you doing with 20 L of quince brandy?

We've also had an amazing quincy year. 2 big batches of jelly made, but that's it so far.
Previously I've done quincemeat (for xmas pies), poached fruit etc, but it's too much of faff and not that nice. And also, we're inundated with apples.

CherryPavlova Thu 11-Oct-18 19:10:33

Yes we’ve apples aplenty too. Quincemeat sounds lovely - I am going to try and make some.

20 litres - It’s in case we run out of Cognac post Brexit ...... no, wedding favours when decanted into tiny bottles just big enough for two drinks.

HarrySinger Thu 11-Oct-18 19:39:11

Weeds It's from Jerusalem - Lamb stuffed quince with pomegranate and coriander - I stuffed yellow peppers because I had no quince and it was delicious!

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 11-Oct-18 21:42:01

I still have about a gallon of quince meat from last year!
Last year was a good year for quince, this year is overwhelming!
So 20 litres of spirits is about one branch, can probably account for another 3 or 4 branches with other suggestions, so one to go!
* Longwaytogo* yes, medlar jelly is sublime, you eat it with cold meat or cheese traditionally, but it's great in toast. You can eat them raw as long as they are better properly.

Ginmakesitallok Thu 11-Oct-18 21:44:53

Quinces gin? The whitley Neil stuff is great, I'm sure homemade would be even better.

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 11-Oct-18 21:47:25

Bletted FFS autocorrect is the bane of my life!

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 11-Oct-18 21:49:13

Not a gin fan, but have been imagining quince vodka as well as brandy..

longwayoff Thu 11-Oct-18 22:04:24

Thank you weeds, have a delicious Christmas.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »