Talk

Advanced search

Dhal recipe

(6 Posts)
myrtleWilson Mon 08-Oct-18 22:50:59

I do Rick Stein's turmeric fish with Masal Dhal when I'm using red lentils

www.lifestylefood.com.au/recipes/3975/turmeric-fish-with-masal-dhal

DH and I clash over moong dhal as I like it quite soupy but he finds it a bit bland.

I love Jamie Olivers black dhal - but I've not tried any other black dhal which is a shame.

For chefs I'd recommend maunika gowharden and meerah sodha

TheClitterati Mon 08-Oct-18 22:49:39

I live this simple red lentil one with coconut milk

https://runningonrealfood.com/coconut-red-lentil-dahl/

3ChangingForNow Mon 08-Oct-18 22:49:35

Dhabay ki daal food of the gods...

All the regular spices and onion and garlic. Add yellow split peas and salt and water, boil until mushy. Mix in a can of chopped tomatoes that have been whizzed in blender until smooth. When done, add loads of butter. Omg I want this NOW.

Gullane Mon 08-Oct-18 22:46:35

*turmeric. Ffs...

Gullane Mon 08-Oct-18 22:45:56

Half a teaspoon each of turneric, dried chilli flakes and cumin (fiddle a bit with the smounts to your taste) fry in oil and add a finely chopped clove of garlic, small onion and thumb sized bit of ginger. Cook until the onions are translucent. Add a can of coconut milk, same of water, a few curry leaves and about two thirds of the can of mung dhall or red split lentils. Cook til soft. Add any peppers, green beans, spinach or whatever you have in the fridge and salt to taste. Good with roti. Can add prawns if you’re feeling fancy smile.

Or very lazy version - nice with rice - fry finely sliced garlic with cumin, add a couple of big handfuls of red split lentils, plenty of water and a stock cube. Add sliced green chilli, bring to boil then simmer. Shake fried shallots over (from Asian supermarket) and eat with tomatoes, cucumbers and yogurt.

BumbandBaby Mon 08-Oct-18 18:56:31

So looking for authentic dhal recipes. I love all red, green, yellow, split, you name it.

I'm getting tired of the jars, and have now accumulated most spices (I think) to give it a decent shot.

I've looked up recipes, tried Nadiyas from GBBO and it has become a firm favourite with the family.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in