Talk

Advanced search

Tomatoes

(8 Posts)
GMtoBe Fri 05-Oct-18 10:43:50

My tomato plants are still producing an enormous amount of fruit, far more than we can eat as they are. Does anyone have any ideas of what I could do with them all?

OP’s posts: |
HCHQ Fri 05-Oct-18 15:04:21

Lucky you!

Half them and pack on a baking tray cut side up in a single layer. Go lightly with olive oil, black pepper and dried herb(s) of choice (don't use fresh herbs for this as they'll burn & taste bitter). Slow roast until caramelised (Gas 1 or 140C). Then freeze as they are or blitz with garlic for a fresh tom sauce - use or freeze. Adding smoked paprika to the sauce goes well with roast fish (cod, hake) or chicken & chorizio ...

There are always various chutneys which I've never tried to make.

I now have tomato envy ... Enjoy!!

Molokonono Fri 05-Oct-18 15:05:34

Freeze them whole when ripe and then add to dishes when cooking when you need them

GMtoBe Fri 05-Oct-18 15:32:49

Great ideas, thank you!

OP’s posts: |
Ricekrispie22 Fri 05-Oct-18 16:38:36

Tomato soup
Salsa
Ratatouille
Passata
Relish

Heratnumber7 Fri 05-Oct-18 16:39:22

Chutney! And then more chutney.

whycantyouusethephone Fri 05-Oct-18 17:38:59

I have been slowly roasting kilos and kilos in salt and olive oil, skimming and lashing them. I have jars of the roasted tomato paste which I add to pasta/ lasagne/bread/ soups etc. The flavour is concentrated and delicious. Though a kilo makes about 100g of paste

Weedsnseeds1 Fri 12-Oct-18 15:48:37

Fried green tomatoes. Cut in thick slices ( or wedges depending on size), dredge in egg, then seasoned cornmeal and fry.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »