Talk

Advanced search

High calorie food ideas for reluctant toddler - egg and dairy free

(6 Posts)
SparkleHorse82 Fri 28-Sep-18 16:06:02

My 14 month old is not into solids at all. She eats just about enough to keep going - she's not an outright food refuser - but her portions are SO small compared to other babies the same age and she's dropped from the 50th to the 25th centile. Not walking independently yet but constantly moving. I still breastfeed 3-4 times a day, but a couple of these are now pretty short feeds.
She has a serious allergy to egg and a non-IGE allergy to dairy.
I feel like we offer the same old solid foods over and over again - she's bored and so am I. And she only eats a few spoonfuls. Finding the whole thing so tiring and could really do with some good, healthy but v easy meal and snack ideas that are egg and dairy free.
She will always eat puree and sandwiches but i'm trying to get away from puree because she can manage lumps fine - she just chooses not to...
Thanks for your help!

OP’s posts: |
sleepismysuperpower1 Fri 28-Sep-18 17:44:20

Sweet Potato

A super versatile brain food that can be offered diced, mashed, or as fries. Think about adding in some butter and even a little syrup if you really need those extra calories.

rice or oat milk with a daily free cream cheese spread bagel

peanut butter and jam sandwich

breadsticks

thenewaveragebear1983 Fri 28-Sep-18 17:51:45

Roasted butternut squash, chunky veg, roasted in olive oil to increase the cals? She could feed herself then, picking up the chunks.

Apple slices spread with peanut butter? PB is v high in calories (eg 100 per teaspoon)

Chicken thighs cooked with some spices? High fat content

Olives, smoked mackerel, etc all are high calorie due to their fat content.

My ds (no dietary issues though) was so bored of food until I increased the flavour with garlic, spices etc. that I’d always sort of avoided with a baby. He loves really flavoursome foods.

Ricekrispie22 Fri 28-Sep-18 18:08:26

Avocado
Hummus
Falafel
Bagels
Nut butters
Sesame snaps
This porridge recipe www.rowsehoney.co.uk/honey-recipes/coconut-honey-porridge/

Blondie1984 Sat 29-Sep-18 01:39:56

Salmon with crushed potatoes or pasta & sweetcorn/peas
Green thai chicken curry with coconut rice
Coconut yoghurt with bananas
Chicken pie with olive oil based pastry

7salmonswimming Sat 29-Sep-18 02:02:13

Peanut butter
Avocado
Macadamia nut spread (make your own)
Use chicken thighs not breast
Cook chicken with skin on
Smoothies made from almond milk base but with a dollop of cocoa or peanut butter, coconut milk
Rice but don’t wash the starch out
Hummus
Breaded chicken or fish
Ham or bacon based pasta dish with tomato sauce
Plain granola (ie not over yogurt or with milk)
Cashew-based sauces (look at vegan recipes)
Guacamole
Teriyaki skewers
Baked corn puffs (baby-friendly wordings basically)

Don’t worry about her getting bad habits, or developing a taste. For a good couple of years still she will eat what you give her without too much of a fuss, so once her weight is back up you can rebalance things.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »