Talk

Advanced search

Vegetarian starters/sides for pizza party

(27 Posts)
WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Tue 25-Sep-18 13:50:27

I'm having a pizza party. As we can only cook one pizza at a time in our pizza oven, I need some bits and bobs for people to eat before/alongside the pizzas. (I'll just slice pizzas up and share them rather than everyone having their own pizza.) But my mind has gone blank.

I'll do garlic bread and a big salad. And buy some olives for those who like them.

Any suggestions? Thank you smile

OP’s posts: |
WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Tue 25-Sep-18 13:51:03

Sorry for using the word pizza so many times blush

PurpleDaisies Tue 25-Sep-18 13:51:43

Mozzarella sticks.

PurpleDaisies Tue 25-Sep-18 13:53:10

Pressed post by accident! Also coleslaw, nachos, sweet potato wedges, corn on the cob...

FrederickCreeding Tue 25-Sep-18 13:55:15

What about some crisps /breadsticks/ toasted pitta with dips?
Or things like potato wedges, 'vegetarian' sausage rolls etc.

Tbh, what you've planned sounds lovely - and plenty. I'm not sure you'll need loads extra, but I guess it depends on how many you are catering for.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Tue 25-Sep-18 13:59:48

Ooh some excellent ideas, thank you.

It'll be about 12 people. It's not so much volume of food, but just that I don't want people to be hungry while the pizzas are cooking. We will probably have lots of leftovers, but I'd rather that than anyone being hungry and then we can eat them for the rest of the week

Florries Tue 25-Sep-18 14:00:12

Chips / curly fries / garlic bread or cheesy garlic bread / Salad / corn on the cobs / dough balls / stuffed jalapenos.

Bloody hell I'm hungry now.

Florries Tue 25-Sep-18 14:01:36

Nachos is a great idea.

FrederickCreeding Tue 25-Sep-18 14:04:02

Good plan! Leftovers are the best.

It's hard to think of things that aren't too heavily bread and cheese based (to contrast with the pizza)

Caponata might be nice?
And perhaps some more substantial salads? Potato salad, couscous etc as well as leafy ones.

eelbecomingforyou Tue 25-Sep-18 14:04:55

Nachos, crudites and dips, veggie samosas, potato skins or baked potatoes halved with cheese and spring onion mixed with the potato, cherry tomatoes filled with pesto, canape size veg tart, veg sausage rolls?

Florries Tue 25-Sep-18 14:12:44

Loaded potato skins. Omg. Yum.

Hiding this thread now as I'm starving. and trying to stay strong on the old diet

lastqueenofscotland Tue 25-Sep-18 14:19:40

Wedges
Tortilla chips and dip
Mini bruschetta if you have time/the inclination

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Tue 25-Sep-18 18:11:01

Thank you all.

I do love nachos. But I'd quite like to keep it vaguely Italian themed.

So maybe caponata and bruschetta. And I might do a potato salad or something a bit more substantial.

I like the sound of the cherry tomatoes with pesto too. I hate olives so those would be a nice alternative for non-olive eaters.

PurpleDaisies Tue 25-Sep-18 18:16:22

Bruschetta is a weird accompaniment for pizza. It’s basically the same isn’t it? Bread with tomato on top? smile

Loopytiles Tue 25-Sep-18 18:19:38

Just salad! No need for more carbs.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Wed 26-Sep-18 08:54:42

I often have bruschetta as a starter at Italian restaurants. But yes, maybe too much bread. Hm.

TheDropBear Wed 26-Sep-18 19:43:27

Arancini, antipasto platter, mini caprese (mozzarella ball, cherry tomato and a basil leaf on a cocktail stick)

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Wed 26-Sep-18 21:36:45

I wondered about arancini, but I have never made them so I think it would be a bit ambitious to try them out for the first time on a big group.

I've found some recipes for "Italian style" potato salad. No idea if it's a genuine thing in Italy, but I think it will go nicely and it's a bit lighter than normal potato salad as there's no mayonnaise.

I like the sound of mini Caprese. eel's suggestion of tomatoes with pesto reminded me of a Delia recipe, so I was thinking of making that. She uses pesto in hers too, but a basil leaf would be less messy.

I keep changing my mind, but I will report back afterwards on what I actually made and how it was received smile

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Wed 26-Sep-18 21:37:00

Sorry, I meant to say thank you smile

speakout Wed 26-Sep-18 21:42:39

Have you decided on the "pizza party " idea firmly?

It sounds like you will be in the kitchen making pizzas all night.
How many pizzas do you intend making?

Not much fun for the cook.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Wed 26-Sep-18 21:59:42

Yes. We have a (small) outdoor pizza oven so that's the whole point of the gathering really. They only take about 90 seconds to actually cook. The main delay is the oven getting up to temperature in between each pizza hmm it's a bit like a barbecue really, so you can chat while doing it.

FeedingFrenzy5 Thu 27-Sep-18 15:43:00

Arancini are delicious but quite hard work with making the risotto first and then all the frying. I only ever make them if I have leftover risotto. Nigella has an Italian guacamole recipe if you want to go down the dips and crudites route.

Dontbuymesocks Thu 27-Sep-18 15:54:02

Ooooh I think I’d like an outdoor pizza oven. Are they expensive?

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Fri 28-Sep-18 07:39:11

Feeding thanks, I'll look that up smile

Dontbuymesocks the proper brick ones are very expensive, but we just have an Uuni 3. It's pretty good.

Dontbuymesocks Fri 28-Sep-18 08:50:18

That looks fab, thanks!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »