Talk

Advanced search

slow cooker potatoes

(7 Posts)
Hadens04 Mon 24-Sep-18 07:13:18

Hi any suggestions as to what potatoes to use in the slow cooker, when doing a stew my potatoes are always still hard after hours of cooking, carrots too ?

OP’s posts: |
sashh Mon 24-Sep-18 07:25:22

You need all the veg to be about the same size, so you need to cut potatoes and carrots a bit smaller than you would if boiling them.

I tend to use new potatoes in stews, larger ones I cut in 2 or 3 pieces. There is a variety called 'anya' sold in Tesco, they are sort of sausage shaped and have a nutty flavour, I would cut them in two or three pieces.

You can also thinly slice both carrots and potatoes. Parsnip is another that needs to be cut small too.

PaulMorel Mon 24-Sep-18 07:59:38

Gold potatoes, especially the Yukon variety. They are always best for slow cooker recipes. They are very fluffy, smooth and delish!

QueenOfMyWorld Mon 24-Sep-18 08:12:45

Of you cook on medium rather than low for 6 hours they will be fine

thismeansnothing Mon 24-Sep-18 08:16:28

Root veg needs to be chopped small and the same size.

Spuds I just use whatever I have in, but if I'm doing a stew I turn it on before I go to bed and then leave on all day (so a good 18 hours on low) to garuntee they won't be rock hard.

Hadens04 Mon 24-Sep-18 13:33:40

Hi thank you, Id not thought about using new potatoes

OP’s posts: |
MaMisled Mon 24-Sep-18 13:35:48

I use new potatoes too and cook for at least 6hrs.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »