Talk

Advanced search

What to make for a "pot luck"

(15 Posts)
geologyrocks Sun 23-Sep-18 04:00:42

Hey all,

There's a retirement party at work and we are all bringing food dishes. I was going to bring lamb tagine and cous cous but I was asked not to today as there were other lamb dishes.

I'm at a loss of what to make now because there's a few curries being made, someone else is bringing lasagne

Ideally it should be a hot meal rather than quiche or similar. Has anyone any suggestions? Maybe something with chicken?

Thanks in advance smile

OP’s posts: |
lrwe Sun 23-Sep-18 04:15:39

Chilli con carne?

AsleepAllDay Sun 23-Sep-18 04:17:16

How about a dessert? A cheesecake is easy

OlennasWimple Sun 23-Sep-18 04:52:23

Always worth checking if anyone else is bringing bread, condiments, salad stuff, if you want to keep things easy for you

Otherwise, how about lemon chicken? Or hunter's chicken? Or pile of BBQ chicken drumsticks?

Blondie1984 Sun 23-Sep-18 04:58:26

How about a pie (pastry or potato topped) - chicken ham and leek is nice or a frittata

primoestate Sun 23-Sep-18 06:45:01

Why not just make a tagine from a different meat or a vegetable tagine?

Ricekrispie22 Sun 23-Sep-18 07:36:33

I'd avoid anything with rice or pasta as that's already being done.
Do you want something that's easily reheatable?
Fish pie - can be made ahead and frozen.
Sweet potato and chicken traybake realfood.tesco.com/recipes/chicken-and-sweet-potato-traybake.html
Cajun chicken and spicy wedges
Toad in the hole
Sausage and bean stew www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1940681/sausage-and-bean-casserole-
Chicken casserole
Enchiladas

Apple crumble
Sticky toffee pudding

JellySlice Sun 23-Sep-18 08:04:21

Vegetable tagine would complement meat dishes and vegetable curries very nicely. There are rarely enough vegetarian dishes at these dos, either.

Felafel with tahini dip - people always bring hummus, but never its partner, tahini. Tahini is lovely with hot food, too.

Tear-and-share breads. Savoury, or sweet for pudding.

geologyrocks Sun 23-Sep-18 09:03:30

Lots of lovely ideas here. Would a chicken tagine be as nice? I've never had it only lamb.

I could bring some lovely breads too actually. And some nice lemon and coriander cous cous to go with the tagine.

Desserts have been covered so that's out. But thank you for the suggestion

OP’s posts: |
Ricekrispie22 Sun 23-Sep-18 14:15:58

Perhaps take bits to accompany the curries. E.g. Naan bread, popadums, bhajis, mango chutney etc..

Urbanbeetler Sun 23-Sep-18 14:19:20

A cheese board?

A plain roast chicken for anyone who prefers non-spicy food?

Honey and mustard roast sausages?

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Sun 23-Sep-18 14:21:42

My go-to tagines are turkey and apricot, or a five vegetable one. Both are nice.

oakthorn Sun 23-Sep-18 14:23:10

Just done a chicken and leek cottage pie? Was struggling fir something different.

ThePricklySheep Sun 23-Sep-18 14:24:07

Moroccan meatballs instead of the tagine?

TigerDrankAllTheWaterInTheTap Sun 23-Sep-18 14:32:10

I second the idea of doing a vegetarian option. Most people are omnivorous and will eat a bit of the veggie stuff as well as the meat options so it never hurts to have extra veggie main dishes. I'd go for roasting some vegetables - aubergine, peppers, red onions, courgettes, garlic, oil, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, maybe mushrooms and/or squash. When cooked, mix with a tin or two of chopped tomatoes and a good dollop of sundried tomato paste. Add drained chickpeas. Lovely - hot, warm or cold. Would go very well with couscous or burghul or rice (or pasta).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »