Talk

Advanced search

What berries are these? Sloes?

(9 Posts)
mrpoopybutthole Sat 22-Sep-18 11:05:56

The fields where I walk my dogs seem to have a lot of these berries. Are they sloes? If so, do they need to be darker to be ripe?

OP’s posts: |
MsHomeSlice Sat 22-Sep-18 11:07:58

def some sort of sloe or damson!

Get all the ones above dog pee height and make Sloe Gin.

mrpoopybutthole Sat 22-Sep-18 17:09:51

Thanks. Managed to find loads of ripe (black) ones. Definitely going to try making sloe gin!

MrBeansXmasTurkey Sat 22-Sep-18 17:12:22

Dont forget to get your kids to taste one. That bitter flavour will make them wince grin Maybe I am mean in enjoying that.

RamblinRosie Mon 24-Sep-18 23:46:18

They’re damsons. Great for damson gin, freeze first, then defrost, prick with a pin, pack into a large jar, add half the weight of caster sugar (500g damsons = 250g sugar), top up with gin. Also brilliant for jam, jelly, fruit fools and mixed fruit crumbles. Only nuisance is the stones, I stew them, then pick the stones out with a fork, the stewed fruit freezes well. The flavour is superb, well worth the effort!!!

Oneofthosedreadfulparents Tue 25-Sep-18 13:45:47

Yep, definitely damsons, the leaves aren't spiky enough to be sloes.

mrpoopybutthole Thu 27-Sep-18 16:01:35

I don't think they're damsons, as neighbour gave us some damsons & they were a lot bigger (slightly smaller than a plum). These berries are smaller than grape size, even the very ripe black ones.

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 11-Oct-18 16:18:49

Bullaces.
Any slow or damson recipe will work.
Gin / vodka
Pate de fruit
Jelly ( mix with crab apple, boil, strain juice, 1 pint juice to one pound sugar)

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 11-Oct-18 16:23:21

Sloe - which autocorrect is still trying to correct for me

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »