Talk

Advanced search

Chocolate cake using dark chocolate (not cocoa)

(3 Posts)
INXS Fri 21-Sep-18 15:14:31

Hi! I have all the standard ingredients for a chocolate cake, just not cocoa. I do have loads of dark chocolate though. Anyone have a good recipe that I can use? Is it possible?

I don't really want to have to do conversions because I am bad enough as following a recipe as it is...

OP’s posts: |
squishee Wed 03-Oct-18 09:37:33

Hi, this is my favorite one:
chocolate fondant. Maybe more of a tray bake, as it doesn't rise. The idea is that it is crispy on the outside and dense and soft / squidgy on the inside.

200g bar of very dark chocolate;
100g butter; 
4 eggs; 
50g plain flour; 
60g brown sugar;
pinch salt;
salt crystals

Pre-heat oven to 190C. 
Melt the chocolate and butter in a bain marie / microwave. Remove from heat and add the sugar, eggs, flour and a pinch of salt. Stir until blended. 
Butter your cake tin and add the mix.

Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, checking from time to time that the top isn't burning. You should still see bubbling butter on the top even when it's ready.

Remove and allow to cool.
Sprinkle with salt crystals. Enjoy.

You can bake it at 180 / reduce baking time to 9 mins for a cake with a very squidgy centre which I got TONS of compliments about last time I made it. Or increase heat / temp for a drier texture. Either way, very rich and a crowd pleaser.

•••

squishee Wed 03-Oct-18 09:39:09

Where did my paragraphs go?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »