Talk

Advanced search

Gruffalo !

(2 Posts)
butunlikely Thu 20-Sep-18 11:02:58

Hello! My first foray into the baking threads and hoping someone can help... I made a practice run of this cake for my little girl's birthday last weekend (turning 2):
www.theguardian.com/childrens-books-site/gallery/2011/mar/18/gruffalo-cake-red-nose-day

Thankfully, I only made half the buttercream requested as it was an obscene amount! Overall, it turned out well (she knew it was a Gruffalo, so success as far as I'm concerned!)... But, the cake itself - a 6 egg sponge - was a little dry and I had a hard time getting the buttercream on as once I carved it there were crumbs everywhere! Does anyone have a better/foolproof recipe for a carveable 10" square chocolate cake - or know what I did wrong?? I baked it for 15 minutes LESS than the time it said, so I think the cocoa might be to blame?

Also, if anyone has any Gruffalo party food ideas, all gratefully received! I'm a reasonably competent baker!

OP’s posts: |
sleepismysuperpower1 Thu 20-Sep-18 18:34:38

try this cake recipe:
allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/18219/guaranteed-moist-chocolate-cake.aspx

for the rest of the food, you could make chocolate bark? melt some chocolate, add in some smarties, mix, spread it onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment, wait for it to set and smash! you could also get a bowl of popcorn and add in some jelly snakes, to resemble scrambled snakes in the book

all the best x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »