Talk

Advanced search

I have just moved in a property with electric fan oven

(8 Posts)
Cakespoiler Sun 09-Sep-18 12:39:52

I have had four disastrous attempts at sandwich cakes,they have not been cooked properly in the middle also a couple have risen up in the middle underneath a Nd left an hole ,what shelve level do I need to be on,leave never had any of my cakes go like this when I cooked with gas,am I ever going to get used to it.help.

INeedNewShoes Sun 09-Sep-18 12:41:40

You will get used to it. I tend to have the shelf roughly middle of the oven and bake on 160 with mostly good results.

MongerTruffle Sun 09-Sep-18 12:42:54

what shelve level do I need to be on
It doesn't matter. A fan oven distributes the heat evenly throughout the oven, so as a rule of thumb, you need to set the temperature to 20 degrees lower than what you would use for a conventional oven.

SnuggyBuggy Sun 09-Sep-18 12:44:32

I remember when DM went through this. We worked out that you need to drop the temperature and maybe bake longer

greencatbluecat Sun 09-Sep-18 13:03:57

I cook my sponge cakes (in my electric fan oven) at 180C in the middle. Takes about 15 minutes.

Although the temperature is theoretically the same throughout, I do find that things cook a little quicker at the top.

INeedNewShoes Sun 09-Sep-18 13:04:46

I agree that the temperature isn't even throughout. If I were to bake a cake at the top it would definitely be done on top before the middle was ready.

BlueUggs Sun 09-Sep-18 13:05:08

I male cakes a lot in a fan oven. Try cooking them low and slow at 150 for about 30-40 mins.

sofato5miles Sun 09-Sep-18 13:05:46

Horses for courses, I would only ever have an electric fan oven as I always have disasters in gas types!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »