Talk

Advanced search

Sage - what do I use it for

(7 Posts)
onedayatatime73 Wed 05-Sep-18 15:19:02

I’ve been growing herbs. Used all of them except this plethora of sage. What do I cook it with?

OP’s posts: |
TeddyIsaHe Wed 05-Sep-18 16:28:51

Sage goes really well with butternut squash - so roasted with it, in a risotto, pureed. I also buy ready made squash ravioli and gently fry sage in better for a few seconds and pour it over the ravioli. Top with parmesan, it's so delicious.

Also v. good with chicken - if you buy thighs skin on and bone in, gently lift the skin away and pop in a couple of sage leaves in each thigh and roast, imparts a lovely flavour. Can also do the same with a whole chicken, it looks lovely too!

If you have tons left over, chop and store in icecube trays topped up with olive oil and then freeze, one in a stew/bolognese etc at the end of cooking really lifts it. Works with all hardy herbs!

delphguelph Wed 05-Sep-18 16:30:36

Was just about to say butternut squash.

Obviously in stuffing too.

GimbleInTheWabe Wed 05-Sep-18 16:50:46

Was also going to say butternut squash risotto, a staple in our household and always enjoyed by guests too!

Also good with things like walnuts I think. You could potentially make a sage and walnut pesto which be good with pasta obvs.

Could also make a sage infused oil. Just chop a load up and infuse with olive oil?

Lovely with pork or made in to a stuffing for chicken roasts.

Ricekrispie22 Wed 05-Sep-18 17:13:38

Sage and onion stuffing www.bbc.com/food/recipes/sageandonionstuffing_1328
Sage and rosemary chicken stew www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/recipe_directory/s/sage-rosemary-chickenstew.html
Pork and sage www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/roasted-pork-chops-with-sage-and-champ/
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5158/grilled-pork-with-apple-and-sage
www.pork.com.au/recipe/grilled-pork-fillet-medallions-with-sage-lemon-and-garlic/407/

Blondie1984 Wed 05-Sep-18 17:17:20

Chop finely then mix into softened butter - then you can use it for stuffing under the skin of chicken before roasting, adding to the pan when frying calves liver or in saltimbocca

finova Fri 07-Sep-18 19:49:37

Tray bake
Mini potatoes 1/2d in oil for 15- 20 min
Then add:
red onion wedges
Sausages (any bit I like apple ones)
Butternut squash slices
Apple wedges
A drizzle of honey and oil
A few sage leaves

Bake for another 45 minutes to an hour

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »