Talk

Advanced search

If I like this wine what else will I like (that’s cheaper!)

(16 Posts)
PinotAndPlaydough Wed 22-Aug-18 21:28:20

I’ve never been a wine buff and will usually drink whatever is being offered but recently I went for a posh meal and had this
https://www.waitrosecellar.com/white-wine/dr-loosen-riesling-eiswein-658771
It was honestly the most delicious wine I’ve ever had but at £20 a bottle it’s not really something I can afford unless it was for a special occasion. Can anyone recommend something similar that I could try?

OP’s posts: |
0range99 Wed 22-Aug-18 21:32:19

www.waitrosecellar.com/new-zealand-wine/villa-maria-pb-gewurztraminer I had friends go nuts for this one

QuoadUltra Wed 22-Aug-18 21:35:53

There is an inexpensive Dr Loosen called Dr L, I think, sold in Sainsbury’s. About £7-8.

You have good taste in wine. I love eiswein! Also, I saw one on sale in Lidl about two months ago - it would be worth having a look.

wonders if there is a MN wine thread

sunshinel Wed 22-Aug-18 21:36:51

That is lovely. I like waitrose Albariño or the Macon village by Louis jadot, both can range from £8 if on offer

cheshireagain Wed 22-Aug-18 21:41:26

Anyone tried Whispering Angel Rosé?

I've heard rave reviews and at £18 a bottle it's a lot more than I would usually spend.

Getting delivered tomorrow in the Ocado shop!

MsHomeSlice Wed 22-Aug-18 21:42:01

isn't that a pudding wine? so quite sweet and syrupy?

eiswein...also implies very sweet, something to do with the grapes being frozen on th evine and it makes them super sweet

have a look for dessert/pudding wines, but they do tend to be pricey ime, and usually only in a half bottle.

sunshinel Wed 22-Aug-18 21:47:39

You're right, just spotted the % at 6.5, I thought it was a dryer one, pudding wines aren't for me

sunshinel Wed 22-Aug-18 21:52:53

Cheshireagain that whispering angel looks lovely, let me know what it's like!

PinotAndPlaydough Wed 22-Aug-18 22:58:07

Thanks, I had no idea it was a dessert wine (I know literally nothing abou wine at all apart fromthey come in different colours grin)!, it was very sweet though, almost peachy. I’ll have a look at some of your suggestions, I’m going to a friends for dinner tomorrow so I’ll grab a few to try out.

OP’s posts: |
QuoadUltra Wed 22-Aug-18 23:08:25

Sweet wines are often really reasonably priced, so you are in luck if you like them. Try a late harvest reisling - any wine shop will have one - they are a bit pricier than most £12ish but very stylish.

cheshireagain Fri 24-Aug-18 16:07:12

@sunshinel welll.... what a disappointment

I NEVER spend that much on wine and was expecting something far superior.

Tastes like a clean white wine x

sunshinel Fri 24-Aug-18 19:43:42

Oh no cheshireagain that's such a shame! I only spend that much for birthdays, etc and would have expected it to be much nicer for that price. Thanks for letting me know! I'm actually drinking a rose Provence from Morrison's now, only £7.50 reduced from £9 and I think it's really nice. Annalthee en Provence

Degustibusnonestdisputandem1 Fri 24-Aug-18 19:45:07

If it's ice wine I'm afraid I've never seen it cheap!

Ginmakesitallok Fri 24-Aug-18 19:47:06

19 crimes is a great cheap sweet wine if you fancy trying a red

Growingboys Fri 24-Aug-18 19:50:40

Whispering Angel is perfectly nice but style over substance I think.

Brilliant job by their marketing team.

PersonalityLines Fri 24-Aug-18 19:50:42

Tokaji is worth a try. Not cheap but you don't need much!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »