Talk

Advanced search

If you cook burgers at home..

(28 Posts)
butterflyrabbit Sun 19-Aug-18 18:30:38

What do you put in them? I always have melted cheese on top and some kind of burger relish. Fried onions but I realised raw might be more traditional?

Usually served with oven chips and salad.

At uni we made epic burgers with potato faces, boiled egg (?!), bacon and other stuff stacked up...

OP’s posts: |
AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 19-Aug-18 18:52:46

Big pickled gherkins! In fact I’m not bothered about the burger just give me the gherkins!
Other (inferior) ideas
Blue cheese
Fried egg (not to be eaten in public, v messy)
Fresh tomato
Bacon
Yellow mustard

mimibunz Sun 19-Aug-18 18:54:50

Stuffed with feta. Sublime.

MalcolmFucker Sun 19-Aug-18 18:55:52

Your uni burger sounds amazing grin

Paie Sun 19-Aug-18 19:46:21

Burgers in the oven now!
Giant burger mix made with ketchup, mustard, Worcester sauce, egg & breadcrumbs, top with chunk of brie 5 mins before serving and wallah 😉
Served with lettuce and chips but the burgers speak for themselves IMO

RebeccaCloud9 Sun 19-Aug-18 19:48:36

Brioche burger buns, sliced gherkins from Lidl, baby plum toms, mozzarella, avocado, mayo and sriracha served with rocket

OnTopOfSpaghetti Sun 19-Aug-18 19:51:44

I put out plates with fried onion, sliced cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, ketchup, mayo, mustard, and everyone creates their owngrin Always served in a bap with a choice of either homemade chips or sweet potato chips. Nom nom.

Magmatic80 Sun 19-Aug-18 19:51:45

Toasted sesame seed buns
Sauce is mayo, ketchup and sweet chilli sauce mixed.
DP is obsessed with having halloumi in burgers recently. Fried first.

greendale17 Sun 19-Aug-18 19:53:55

Cheese and fried onions

afreshnewname Sun 19-Aug-18 19:56:35

Topped with mature cheddar, Avocado & bacon, bit of mayonnaise on a toasted brioche bun 😍

LeeValley2 Sun 19-Aug-18 19:58:13

Wallah gringrin

I often do veggie burgers double stacked with cheese or vegan cheese, tomato, gherkin slices, lettuce and ketchup.

Or beef burgers wrapped in bacon, topped with cheese, tomato, lettuce and burger sauce made of mayonnaise, mustard and finely chopped gherkins.

I’ve also put sliced pickled onions in there. In How to Marry a Millionaire, Lauren Bacall piles her burger with coleslaw and gherkins. Looks delicious but I’ve never tried it.

NicoAndTheNiners Sun 19-Aug-18 19:59:59

Melted Brie and ketchup for the actual burger. Battered onion rings on the side.

butterflyrabbit Sun 19-Aug-18 20:04:15

paie I mean this kindly and gently but it's 'voila' not 'wallah'.... Before you get picked on by a thousand mumsnetters!! grin

God you're all making me hungry and I've just eaten my burger!

OP’s posts: |
afreshnewname Sun 19-Aug-18 20:08:59

@butterflyrabbit I'd assumed the wallah was sarcastic 🙈

Clutterbugsmum Sun 19-Aug-18 20:28:53

dd1 and DS have cheese, bacon, fried onion and mushrooms with tomato sauce.

DD2 has cheese and as much salad as she can fit in with mayo and tomato sauce.

Dinosauratemydaffodils Sun 19-Aug-18 20:56:22

Avocado, bacon, smoked cheese and some sort of tomato relish, preferably spicy.

RebeccaCloud9 Sun 19-Aug-18 21:00:45

Oh yes fried onions. And fried sliced chorizo

LockedOutOfMN Sun 19-Aug-18 21:18:43

I like to chop fresh basil and include it in the burger mix (with meat, finely chopped onion or shallot, and seasoning).

Inside the burger, I like lettuce (iceberg or similar), a thinly sliced gherkin, shitloads of ketchup, and I won't say no to a dab of mayo. Fresh red onion (a ring or two) is nice too.

DH likes melted cheese, of any kind, and barbecue sauce or spicy barbecue sauce.

The DCs like a dab of ketchup and a dab of mayo and, if we're having them, a few chips squished between the burger and the bun. They don't object to lettuce or tomato that I might pop in at a vague attempt at fibre.

I like traditional, sweet, sesame buns, but DH loves briochey type ones.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 23-Aug-18 09:01:55

DH is a slob and likes sliced smoked cheese.

Lamb burgers with minty mayo is a bit of a favourite at the min though smile

BertrandRusselI Thu 23-Aug-18 13:24:17

Black pudding.

Ginandplatonic Thu 23-Aug-18 13:27:26

Beetroot. No Australian burger is complete without it.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 23-Aug-18 19:03:07

Is that pickled beetroot Gin? I’ve always thought I was made for sunnier climes than the UK. Perhaps Australia is where I should be! smile

Millybingbong Thu 23-Aug-18 19:12:43

Had a hash brown and goats cheese in France this summer. Twas delish

Ginandplatonic Thu 23-Aug-18 22:17:33

Yes Jilted out of a tin. None of this fresh rubbish, that wouldn't be the same! grin

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 23-Aug-18 22:28:26

Out of a tin? So you don’t get them in jars? I’ve never heard of tinned beetroot.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »