Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for kids cooking

(7 Posts)
octopusrus Sun 12-Aug-18 17:19:32

Can anyone recommend any first recipes for a totally new 9yo cook? I've been a bit lax with letting the DC help as it always takes so much longer and I'm scared they'll cut/burn themselves, but I need to get over it and get them cooking!! Youngest is still a bit young but I'd love some help or tips in getting the 9yo started.

OP’s posts: |
AtleastitsnotMonday Sun 12-Aug-18 18:06:23

I’d start by looking at some basics, peeling carrots and potatoes, chopping softer veg (mushrooms, peppers etc). Actually maybe try something like an oven baked fritata. Help to chop peppers mushrooms, red onion, toss in olive oil and herbs put on baking tray in oven. Practice cracking and whisking eggs in bowl. Once browned add veg to egg mix and pour in oven proof dish. Top with grated cheese 10 mins before removing from oven.
A basic tomato sauce is the base of so much so would be worth teaching.
Then look at how to cook pasta. From there you have lots of pasta dishes to try.
Things like cous cous are good to start children with. Maybe stuffed peppers?
Also fillets of fish wrapped in foil with herbs or spices would be easy.
And all kids like making pizza!

octopusrus Sun 12-Aug-18 19:11:41

Thank you, good ideas there!

Ricekrispie22 Sun 12-Aug-18 19:20:44

Fish finger pie www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3398/fish-and-finger-pie
Cannelloni bake realfood.tesco.com/recipes/veggie-cannelloni-bake.html
Spaghetti cake realfood.tesco.com/recipes/spaghetti-cake.html
Pizza scrolls www.taste.com.au/recipes/cheesy-ham-scrolls/62b042de-131d-4b47-ab24-9630a979f5a6
Tuna rice bake www.taste.com.au/recipes/mediterranean-tuna-rice-bake/d2c21b30-21b2-4802-85ff-25d236b2725f
Cornflake nuggets realfood.tesco.com/recipes/cornflake-chicken-nuggets.html
Egg boats scouts.org.uk/news/2015/05/recipe-egg-boats/
Cheese straws www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/thingstodo/jbo-recipe-cheese-straws

Puddings and baking:
Apple crumble
Flapjacks
Jam tarts
Rocky road

octopusrus Sun 12-Aug-18 21:50:33

Thank you!

IbbleObbleOut Tue 14-Aug-18 17:29:09

My 10 yr olds favourites to cook/make are meatballs in a tomato sauce. Jamie's easy sausage carbonara (5 ingredients recipe - after doing this once together she makes it on her own now). Also risotto of any kind. I think she's a frustrated Italian!!

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 16-Aug-18 08:54:16

DS had the Usborne cookbook for boys which is good. He can prepare a meal for the family now but I started by getting him to choose a recipe and helping him with it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »