Talk

Advanced search

Glut of tinned butter beans

(27 Posts)
FawnDrench Wed 18-Jul-18 19:07:26

I've somehow managed to accumulate 5 tins of butter beans (all lurking menacingly in various hiding places in the kitchen cupboards I've just cleared out).

I really have no idea why I've got 5 tins of these lovelies, or what the hell I bought the beans for, but surely it must have been some magnificent and tasty recipe that I have since forgotten.

So please could you let me know of any delicious t&t butter bean recipes you have, so that I can use up a few of the tins.

Thanks very much.

OP’s posts: |
LadyPenelopeCantDance Wed 18-Jul-18 19:10:57

I can’t remember what recipe I used, but I’ve made a nice butter bean mash before with pork medallions on the side.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Wed 18-Jul-18 19:15:53

Greek butter beans - Google recipes for gigantes plaki.

Here's my bastardised version -

Fry up sliced onion, carrots cut thinly on the diagonal and chopped garlic gently so it softens but doesn't brown - in olive oil. Add quartered cherry tomatoes and cook a bit. Add s & p, some dried mint and oregano and a bit of paprika. Stir in drained beans and add more olive oil and maybe a splash of water. Put in an oven proof dish and bake for ages, watching it doesn't dry out completely but letting some of the beans get a little bit crispy. Eat with tzatziki and pitta bread, plus maybe Greek salad.

ParisNext Wed 18-Jul-18 19:21:09

I just had to go on an internet hunt for the receipt below. It is fantastic and the butter beans will be perfect. It's a top 10 dish in my house and is very simple but tastes very good.
www.budgetbytes.com/tuscan-white-bean-pasta/

HippyChickMama Wed 18-Jul-18 19:23:10

Cut some pork belly into 1 inch wide strips and slow cook with butter beans, diced chorizo, tinned tomatoes, sage, paprika and garlic.

EvilMorty Wed 18-Jul-18 19:23:53

I make vegetarian fajitas, bean chilli or the hairy bikers sausage and bean casserole with my butter beans. Love them!

Or make your own homemade baked beans?

Hawkmoth Wed 18-Jul-18 19:24:45

You can make a houmous type dip by blending with garlic (roasted if you don't like very garlicky stuff) lemon juice and coriander.

counterpoint Wed 18-Jul-18 19:26:34

You could make a humous style dip with them.

For one tin of beans, blitz with half an onion, one or two cloves of garlic, a glug of olive oil, some salt, pinch of Mediterranean herbs (thyme, oregano) and half a lemon.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Wed 18-Jul-18 19:31:24

On holiday once I was served a really lovely veggie pie with butterbeans and various vege (carrots, potatoes, sweetcorn, leeks I think) in a sort of creamy sauce, topped with wholemeal pastry in a worthy 1970s veggie sort of way. It was lush and I really wish I could recreate it.

FlukeSkyeRunner Thu 19-Jul-18 06:46:33

Put them in chilli in place of some of the kidney beans.

Slartybartfast Thu 19-Jul-18 06:53:07

I have a lovely recipe
www.pan-to-mouth.com/recipes/sweet-potato-and-butter-bean-korma/

also giganti plaki cookingonabootstrap.com/2013/03/20/gigantes-plaki-17p/

other than that will watch this thread for other ideas

magimedi Thu 19-Jul-18 07:11:59

This is delicious but not really a dish for this weather. If you can hang on to your beans until it cools down a tad.............:

Butter beans & Bacon (for 2 people).

I tin butter beans, drained & rinsed.

Half a pint of cheese sauce made with a good strong cheddar + a tsp of Dijon mustard.

6 (or so) thin cut rashers of streaky bacon.

Heat the butter beans in the cheese sauce until piping hot. Put them in a flat ovenproof dish (or a couple of of individual chafing dishes) , put the bacon on top & put under the grill until the bacon is done - less than 5 mins.

Serve with crusty bread and/or salad.

V calorific, v easy & v comforting. A British tartiflette??

A glass of very cold white wine raises this to ambrosial!

FawnDrench Thu 19-Jul-18 11:29:43

Well thanks to all - didn't think I'd get so many interesting and helpful replies - and I'm now spoilt for choice which is just great.

I'm going to try one recipe a week I think.

If anyone's got some more suggestions that would be lovely too.

OP’s posts: |
lastqueenofscotland Thu 19-Jul-18 13:13:35

Soften some leeks, add the butter beans, lots of fresh thyme
Stick on some doorstep toast with some Parmesan and stick under the grill
So. Good.

Haddaway Thu 19-Jul-18 13:18:57

This one is lovely and fresh and takes literally 15 minutes - pesto topped cod with butter beans, garlic, spinach and lemon juice:

www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/food/recipes/pesto-cod-and-beans

Ohms11 Fri 20-Jul-18 06:55:26

Bitterness mash:cook a chopped onion and some garlic until soft. Add rinsed bitterness and heat through. Blend with stick blender adding hot stock or milk to loosen. Season with salt and pepper. Great with lamb chops, or grilled chicken and a tomato salad.

IheartCaptainHolt Fri 20-Jul-18 07:10:45

Leek and butterbean soup is delicious

Chewbecca Fri 20-Jul-18 17:21:14

When I make chilli con carne, I use 1 tin of kidney beans and 1 of butter beans, I actually prefer the butter beans, they take in the flavour beautifully.

Slartybartfast Sun 22-Jul-18 06:28:24

Made butter bean burgers last night, delicious, added cheese, chives and sweetcorn to the mix

borntobequiet Sun 22-Jul-18 06:31:04

Hang on to them. Brexit is coming.

JustlikeDevon Sun 22-Jul-18 17:44:42

Fry off onion add chopped chorizo. Chuck in a bit of garlic, then a tin of tomatoes. Season with lots of smoked paprika and a pinch of sugar. Simmer. Add a tin of butter beans. Heat through. Lovely with nice bread and a glass of wine.

TellsEveryoneRealFacts Sun 22-Jul-18 17:45:30

The whole point of tinned stuff is that you never have a glut, you just have - tins when you need them.

myrtleWilson Sun 22-Jul-18 17:53:49

a nice cassoulet? Nigella has a recipe in her Christmas book for cassoulet with left over goose and cannelini beans rather than butter. It is delicious (but rich!). Obviously no need to buy an entire goose to get rid of your butter bean glut but could use perhaps a duck breast? I don't think the recipe is on line but if you want it I will post a photo...

Otherwise a very simple butter bean mash with sage- to serve with pork from Ed Smith's book "on the side" is lush! www.cooked.com/uk/Ed-Smith/Bloomsbury-Publishing-Plc/On-the-side/Grains-pulses-pasta--rice/Butter-beans-with-sage-recipe

TheProvincialLady Sun 22-Jul-18 17:56:31

Mashed butter beans with fried onion/garlic, chilli, chopped coriander, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper is very nice. Shape into burgers and fry.

Boglin Sun 22-Jul-18 18:00:20

Mediterranean chicken casserole? commonsensecookery.wordpress.com/2017/05/18/mediterranean-chicken-casserole/

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »