Talk

Advanced search

Frozen food storage times

(3 Posts)
lemonbiscuit Tue 17-Jul-18 15:24:03

So I bought a fresh fish pie and froze it before the use by date (which was last August). Pack says should be eaten within 1 month of freezing. But why? I thought freezing stopped any bacterial growth - so why would it not be ok to cook it and eat it now? I’ve noticed the ‘one month’ rule for most stuff that cAn be bought fresh and then frozen. Can anyone explain the logic please? Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
Ricekrispie22 Tue 17-Jul-18 16:34:00

The short answer is that foods will keep indefinitely in a frozen state. Frozen foods will never expire, go bad, or pose any health issues. However, they do not actually stay tasty forever. Freezer burn sucks the moisture out of them. When thawed, foods that developed freezer burn look desiccated and limp. You can cook them, technically, but they will lack good flavor or texture. Freezer burn is inevitable in even the most well-packaged foods. Vacuum sealing is the best deterrent. Second to that is sucking or pressing all of the air out. Most things should last about 3 months before being effected by freezer burn, but this is shorter if the packaging has air in.

lemonbiscuit Tue 17-Jul-18 18:36:03

Thanks for your reply! My main concern is good safety so that’s helpful

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »