Talk

Advanced search

Nut free, sugar free, healthy and filling lunch box slices/cakes/muffins

(8 Posts)
Iwasjustabouttosaythat Fri 15-Jun-18 05:19:43

DS is incredibly fussy and I’m after a healthy lunch box filler for him. We’re vegetarian so a slab of meat is not an option. I’m after a piece of cake or a slice or something he can have in one section of his bento box. Nut free is essential for his kindergarten, and low or no sugar would be great. I’m fine with fruit purées for flavour though I’m aware come would consider this sugar. wink

Do you have any recipes like this your kids love? There are billions online but they always seem to crumble apart without the lovely sugar to glue them together. That or they taste horrible...

OP’s posts: |
PanannyPanoo Fri 15-Jun-18 05:39:01

How about a bread based something?
I make a loaf using a ready mix (Tesco crusty white seems foolproof - with a tablespoon of olive oil to the mix) and add extras, current favourite is olives, but raisin and orange, or banana and choc chip have gone down well too.
I bake it in a tray rather than a tin, portion in up to yum box size then freeze in tupperware. Put a portion in in the morning and it is defrosted by lunch time. One loaf makes enough portions for 4 weeks providing I freeze the fresh bread quickly enough! Otherwise it seems to disappear and I only get a couple of days out of it, as my children and husband devour it like locusts!

Mailfuckoff Fri 15-Jun-18 05:48:27

Banana bread? I do it for my dc, although it has sugar it's also got the goodness of bananas and it's easy to make.

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Fri 15-Jun-18 09:53:00

Pananny, that’s a great idea! Do you do this in winter too? I’m worried I couldn’t get my bread to rise in the cold (winter here).

Mail, banana bread is the only thing I regularly do! It is a great idea but I think he’s getting a bit bored of it.

CMOTDibbler Fri 15-Jun-18 10:35:14

I do oat, banana, greek yogurt, blender muffins which you can add raisins or other dried fruit too (or dark choc chips which are low sugar) and they are lovely, filling, and a good texture too

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Fri 15-Jun-18 13:44:50

Ooooh, I like the idea of the blender! I’ll google this one!

Taytotots Fri 15-Jun-18 13:54:17

These cheese flapjacks are very tasty www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/view/recipe/carrot-flapjack

PanannyPanoo Fri 15-Jun-18 16:31:34

I rise bread in the boiler cupboard in the winter.

Or you can leave it to rise overnight.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »