Talk

Advanced search

Meals to use up coriander and parsley

(26 Posts)
NigellaWannabe1 Wed 13-Jun-18 08:03:32

Someone who knows I love herbs gave me three large coriander bunches and a huge bunch of parsley. I'll probably have to freeze some of the coriander to use in soups, but would like to use the rest fresh if possible. What can I make, apart from tabouleh -- that's tonight's dinner!

I do love, love herbs, especially in tangy, lemony dishes - I just need ideas!

notacooldad Wed 13-Jun-18 08:07:32

I use parsley and coriander in baba ganush
On Saturday I slow roasted tomatoes, butternut squash pieces of sour dour and whole cloves of garlic and parsley and added corrinder afterwards.

NigellaWannabe1 Wed 13-Jun-18 08:10:33

That roasted dish sounds amazing! I love the idea roasted garlic....

cloudtree Wed 13-Jun-18 08:10:54

I make one of our family favourites thai salmon (or we often do it with chicken) with coconut rice when I have masses of coriander.

This one

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3008/thai-coconut-rice-with-salmon

It's a great recipe and everyone always asks me to make twice as much so they can also have it the following day. (I double the amount of lime zest). DS2 (10) adores it.

AC14MUZ Wed 13-Jun-18 08:11:05

I use to herbs to make a salsa verde, traditionally I think it's basil mint and parsley but I've used coriander before and it's worked really well. Or chop and mix with breadcrumbs and Parmesan to make a herby crusty topping for fish??

Jammycustard Wed 13-Jun-18 08:11:49

tabbouleh

0lapislazuli Wed 13-Jun-18 08:11:52

Our favourite recipe is from a Gino d’Acampo book, for a herb sauce using lots of fresh herbs. Can be used on different meats, such as steak and lamb. It’s delicious!

If the picture isn’t clear, there’s a similar recipe here although that ones leaves out the juice of half a lemon, which is definitely an essential ingredient!

Imchlibob Wed 13-Jun-18 08:11:56

Ratatouille needs plenty of fresh coriander. Whilst my recipe doesn't use parsley it wouldn't do any harm

Also key in chilli and in curries generally. Chuck it in, you can't go wrong.

zzzzz Wed 13-Jun-18 08:15:50

Well that would make one large salad here but we’re foreign grin

Chop up at least two bunches, add a couple of finely sliced onions, zest and juice of a lemon, salt, sugar, chilli sauce. Then sling in tomatoes, cucumber, cold cooked peas or beans, or a tin of salad beans. Mix and leave at room temp for at least 30 mins.

Labradoodliedoodoo Wed 13-Jun-18 08:17:04

Falafel

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 13-Jun-18 10:04:39

Pesto.

bassackwards Wed 13-Jun-18 12:18:12

Guac

BiddyPop Wed 13-Jun-18 12:25:22

I often use gluts of fresh herbs to make herb butters, and freeze that in a log to slice off easily when I want them. Coriander, garlic and lemon zest is one that is nice. Or parsley, thyme (maybe some rosemary) with a good bit of salt and pepper. Greta to either use as butter at the bottom of a pan to cook with, or as a slice over a steak, salmon fillet, corn on the cob etc just before serving.

I also have a silicon bottomed ice cube tray that I keep solely for herbs - and freeze gluts already chopped and in a little olive oil, then pop the cubes out into a freezer bag once frozen to use when I need them later.

chipsandcurrysaucemonster Wed 13-Jun-18 12:26:14

Fry a large onion in a pan until soft, add a teaspoon of cumin seeds, half a chopped green chilli, good sprinkle of curry powder and pinch of chilli flakes - then add whisked eggs or silken tofu if you're vegan - mix up in pan until cooked and add a huge handful of chopped coriander in the last couple of minutes with salt and pepper smile serve on toast or in wraps with a slick of hot lime pickle if you like it spicy!

FourFriedChickensDryWhiteToast Wed 13-Jun-18 12:29:42

you can put chopped parsley through a salad, makes it delicious.
Or you can make a salad of chopped parsley and finely chopped red onion, dressed.

Sharptic Wed 13-Jun-18 12:34:28

http://www.shockinglydelicious.com/pasta-aglio-e-olio-for-scarlett-johansson-from-the-movie-chef/

Spaghetti de olio is delicious and needs a lot of fresh parsley

karmakameleon Wed 13-Jun-18 15:01:04

If you like Indian food, dhania chicken.

[https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/05/cilantro-chicken-dhania-chicken-recipe.html]

Also coriander chutney which is very easy and freezes well in an ice cube tray so you can defrost just what you need.

AdaColeman Wed 13-Jun-18 15:10:53

Making a batch of garlic bread would use up a good amount of parsley, or parsley sauce to serve with fish is tasty.

As they are bunches, trim the end off the stems as you would for cut flowers, and stand in a jug of fresh water, keep in a cool place, or even the fridge, parsley lasts for ages treated like that.

picklemepopcorn Wed 13-Jun-18 15:23:36

Peanut risotto.
Brown rice, stock, peas, softened onion.
At the end add peanuts and lots of parsley. Maybe a squeeze of lemon.
Yum.

ElizabethinherGermanGarden Wed 13-Jun-18 17:41:18

Tabbouleh for the parsley - but you would need mint as well - and green fattoush for the coriander. Nigella recipes for both, although they come up party-size so divide if only feeding the five instead of the five thousand.

welshmist Wed 13-Jun-18 17:44:35

A recipe I was given from Fuerteventura is mayo. based.

Mayonnaise,
2 garlic cloves crushed
coriander crushed,
slosh of brandy,

mix together to taste and leave for flavours to develop. Amazing as a dip or to use with fish.

AdaColeman Wed 13-Jun-18 18:43:48

Don't forget omelette aux fines herbes, you can cut up into strips and use as garnish on plain salads or vegetables such as asparagus, as well as it making a nice light summery lunch.

NigellaWannabe1 Wed 13-Jun-18 23:16:45

There are some amazing recipes here. Thanks, everyone!

BlueChampagne Thu 14-Jun-18 13:47:20

Thai green curry will take care of the coriander.

BetterEatCheese Thu 14-Jun-18 13:47:41

Falafel?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: