Talk

Advanced search

I need some new meal ideas please.......

(14 Posts)
Cupcake695 Tue 12-Jun-18 21:42:55

I currently feel like our diet is poor. I am struggling to think of new foods for my meal plans and struggling to get enough veg in aswell.
Apart from the usual fajitas, lasagne etc we have a lot of chicken/salmon with broccoli/green beans but it's so repetitive and would really love to add some variety to our dinners.
Recently I have been getting so fed up with doing the food shop and eating the same thing that I keep buying ready meal/ frozen birds eye chicken type meals which isn't ideal all the time.
Any ideas please?

lastqueenofscotland Tue 12-Jun-18 22:32:40

I think having a theme per night and picking a meal within that really helps with planning:
A vegetarian night: so Mac and cheese/chickpea curry/risotto/stuffed peppers/falafel and pitta
A freezer night: birds eye stuff, leftovers, egg and chips.
A pasta night
A picky tea night: breads, dips, salads
An “eastern” night: noodles, stir fries, fried rice, home made spring rolls, duck pancakes etc

Obvsiously pick the themes that work for you but to give you an idea!

Monty27 Tue 12-Jun-18 22:36:27

Prawns/quiche/tuna on a bed of mixed salad and coleslaw, a little Greek salad, home made stews and fruit stuff for dessert?

Heismyopendoor Tue 12-Jun-18 22:38:54

I just made this for mine and DH’s meal prep lunches for the next couple of days. www.google.com/amp/s/www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/amp57491/cauli-tamale-pie-recipe/

It’s delicious

funmummy48 Tue 12-Jun-18 22:39:17

I find the BBC Good Good website & Sainsburys website useful when I'm stuck in a rut.

calzone Tue 12-Jun-18 22:39:33

The El Paso boxes of kits for enchiladas and burritos are really good especially if on offer.

This week we have had roast chicken dinner

Turkey mince lasagne

Spicy chicken rice from leftover chicken

Penne with broccoli and pesto

Toad in the hole

Spaghetti with asparagus and lemon

WhiteFreesias Tue 12-Jun-18 22:42:36

I've being doing a lot of traybakes. Easy to prep, leave in the fridge and bake when I get in. I also make loads and freeze leftovers. Lemon and oregano chicken traybake is a current fave.

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2411639/lemon-and-oregano-chicken-traybake

I batch cook bolegnese, cottage pie, chili and curry. I'm bored with my regulars so will watch for ideas.

Blondie1984 Wed 13-Jun-18 00:51:09

Go and buy on of the food magazines (the BBC Good Food one is good - as is Delicious) go through it and set yourself a challenge to make at least two new things a week - and get your family involved in choosing things too

Ricekrispie22 Wed 13-Jun-18 06:00:56

I try and do something from a different country each night. This week it's paella, moussaka, chickpea tagine, risotto, peri peri chicken, sweet and sour pork and Thai green curry.

CoffeebyIV Wed 13-Jun-18 07:13:00

I meal planned using the new Sainsbury’s magazine this week and all are going down well. We did a brilliant chicken Kiev tray bake which was so quick & simple. Tonight is a one pot sausage, butter bean and kale really looking forward to it already.

Also made an old favourite last night of a veggie cous cous with grilled lamb steaks topped with goats cheese and pesto with steamed asparagus and broccolini

tentative3 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:19:47

Sweet potato and chorizo enchiladas, I freeze before baking quite often, works very well.

Shakshuka, I often make a batch of the sauce and then all you have to do is defrost, heat and put the eggs in

Pasta with leeks, cabbage and bacon - chop streaky bacon and fry, add shredded leeks and cabbage until soft, stir through some cream cheese and maybe add a bit of pasta water if too thick then stir through spaghetti

ivykaty44 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:23:06

I have two favourites at the moment

Chickpea curry with sweet potato
Onions, tinned tomato, anchovies and olives in a pan cooked to reduce a tad and popped over spaghetti
Delihas onion cheese crust tart with baked beans

pastabest Wed 13-Jun-18 21:35:54

A favourite of ours is 'crispy duck pancakes'

Only we don't always use duck, or pancakes.

Basically you cover the duck/chicken/lamb with Chinese five spice and salt. Cook until it is shreddable with a fork (this will be longer for lamb than chicken obviously)

Serve with Chinese pancakes/ pitta bread/ wraps

Have available salad, sliced cucumber, spring onion, hoisin sauce/ plum sauce as preferred.

Athenajm80 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:55:09

I'm not on Slimming World,but their crustless quiche is very tasty and easy to make. https://www.slimmingworld.co.uk/recipes/bacon-and-mushroom-crustless-quiche.aspx

Another favourite I saw on FB (I think the page is called tasty) is a fajita pie thing. Basically layer wraps and fajita mix with your meat of choice in a casserole dish then bake in the oven.
Oh and another Tastyone is https://www.facebook.com/buzzfeedtasty/videos/1858009234451717/ Creamy chicken bacon pesto pasta

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: