Talk

Advanced search

Dairy free chocolate cupcakes

(18 Posts)
puddinggalore Tue 12-Jun-18 18:36:43

I have a girl with a dairy intolerance coming to my sons party and want to make dairy free birthday chocolate cupcakes. Can I just sub dairy free spread and almond milk for the butter and milk? Is there a spread that works best? TIA

Mominatrix Tue 12-Jun-18 18:39:51

I've replaced butter with coconut oil in chocolate cupcakes with good results. Use the one neutrally flavoured to avoid a coconut flavour if you prefer, otherwise I don't mind the coconut aftertaste.

Disfordarkchocolate Tue 12-Jun-18 18:41:09

We use Pure margarine for sponge cakes but Vitalite is fine too. I don't use any milk in my recipe.

anotherangel2 Tue 12-Jun-18 18:42:31

I used vitalite and oat milk but just because that is what we keep in the fridge.

It works well enough but I find them a little dry. That may just be the toddler’s baking technique.

shhhhIT Tue 12-Jun-18 18:46:05

You can replace the oil/butter and one egg with lemonade or coke to make dairy free moist cake

Screaminginsideme Tue 12-Jun-18 18:50:35

The stork in foil blocks is dairy free and can be used just like butter- not in the plastic tubs.

TheWineDarkSea Tue 12-Jun-18 18:55:35

Pure margerine and soya milk work fine in a standard recipe. Just make sure any choc chips are non dairy.

puddinggalore Tue 12-Jun-18 19:07:12

Does margarine work okay in frosting? I was originally planning on doing two batches, one normal, one dairy free with different sprinkles but think I'm giving myself more work than I need to!!

KirstenRaymonde Tue 12-Jun-18 19:08:55

Just use Vitalite or Stork, I use it even when dairy free isn’t necessary as the cakes are lighter and moister. Yes they’re fine for frosting. I’ve never used milk in a cupcake recipe?

KirstenRaymonde Tue 12-Jun-18 19:09:22

Make sure the chocolate powder you use is dairy free too

KirstenRaymonde Tue 12-Jun-18 19:09:46

Screaminginsideme it’s the same in the tub

Doobydoo Tue 12-Jun-18 19:12:59

Moo free choc chips for baking are good if you fo not want to use dark. I cannot use soya milk so use lacto free but that is probably a whole other issue!

imsorryiasked Tue 12-Jun-18 19:15:43

Doesn't help with the frosting but you can make banana and cocoa muffins which only have veg oil in.

KatyMac Tue 12-Jun-18 19:19:00

Why not a fatless sponge - eggs sugar & sr flour (I can look the quantities up if you don't have a recipe)

Then glace icing or royal if you want to pipe/decorate it?

wishingchair1 Tue 12-Jun-18 19:21:44

The betty Crocker frosting/ butter cream in tubs is dairy free. So you could use that. Or baking oils you use the same amount as butter. I use a lot less but always come out light and fluffy.

puddinggalore Tue 12-Jun-18 19:29:17

Thanks everyone with your help. I've got a specific request for chocolate cake from my 5yo, but wanted to do them as cupcakes as figured would be easiest for serving or sending the kids home with. Haven't decided which way to go yet.
Dd has asd and it's the first time she has asked for a party so feeling the pressure for it to be amazing.

puddinggalore Tue 12-Jun-18 19:30:21

Great tip about Betty Crocker frosting, will def look into that!

KatyMac Tue 12-Jun-18 19:51:34

The fatless sponge cooks in cupcake cases - either normal size, mini or giant [smile} and can be chocolate

I made hundreds for school parties over the year (no egg allergy in the class thank goodness)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »