Talk

Advanced search

Round lemon cake recipe, not loaf

(7 Posts)
RumTiTum Sun 10-Jun-18 10:13:58

I need to make a 90th birthday cake for my grandmother. Her favourite cake is lemon but all the recipes I find state they work best in a loaf tin with reviewers confirming that when they've tried a circular cake tin the texture has been off. I really wanted to do a round cake to decorate, does anybody have a recipe they have successfully used to produce a round lemon cake? Thanks

OP’s posts: |
PurpleDaisies Sun 10-Jun-18 10:16:37

I do a normal Victoria sponge with the grated zest of a couple of lemons. Then add the crunchy sugar and lemon topping as usual.

RumTiTum Sun 10-Jun-18 10:29:07

I think I might give that a go, thanks Purple.

OP’s posts: |
TolstoyAteMyHamster Sun 10-Jun-18 10:33:48

I make a lemon Madeira cake (lemon zest in a standard Madeira cake mix) then put the syrup on top - similar to PurpleDaisies I guess but a slightly different sponge. I occasionally put in some lemon essence but not always.

FawnDrench Mon 11-Jun-18 18:54:16

Some nice ideas here

KiplingAngelCake Tue 24-Jul-18 11:23:25

I made this a two-layer cake and was great.
www.prettywittycakes.co.uk/blog/lemon-madeira-cake

chequeplease Tue 24-Jul-18 11:26:14

Look up the bbc zesty lemon wedding cake recipe. It's totally delicious! and I used it for a similar reason to you recently, decorated with fondant white icing- worked a treat.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »