Talk

Advanced search

Your best pork belly recipe?

(4 Posts)
BrassicaBabe Wed 06-Jun-18 17:45:07

Just that really smile I have some pork belly and want to do it justice!

OP’s posts: |
BrassicaBabe Thu 07-Jun-18 20:49:43

Anyone? It's out of the freezer now. Planning on cooking it for tomorrow evening...

OP’s posts: |
flashria Sat 09-Jun-18 10:20:15

Do you still need a recipe, brassica? Is it slices or one piece? Have a couple of recipes i could dig out but may be too late...i LOVE pork belly!

yy558 Sat 09-Jun-18 19:05:43

Slow cooked Shanghai pork is my DP favourite in the winter. It's not for the diet conscious but lasts for days

Pork belly slices, 4 cloves of garlic, 1 star anise, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, shaoxing wine or sherry, brown sugar, water. Few chunks of fresh ginger

Cut fatty pork belly slices into cubes, and take skin of garlic cloves.

In deep saucepan
Fry whole cloves and star anise and ginger. Until browned. Set aside.

Brown pork belly in same pan.
Add the garlic, star anise and ginger
Add 1 tbspoon light, dark soy. 60ml of sherry or cooking wine, 2 tbspoon of brown sugar. Cover pieces with water. Bring to boil then simmer on low med for 3 hours. Keep checking - add water if needed.

Spoon out some in a warmed bowl to serve family style served with greens and rice. A pot usually last us about 3/4 days. High fat content usually means I leave to cool and it solidifies. And when I want to eat, I bring it to boil again.

* I usually use one pack of those belly pork slices with the skin on and maybe one with less fat on for a mix of different meaty textures.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »