Talk

Advanced search

Salad Dressing

(11 Posts)
Lilacwine1 Mon 21-May-18 07:17:30

Can anybody recommend a really nice salad dressing. Bought or homemade.

OP’s posts: |
Xiaoxiong Wed 23-May-18 07:01:09

My standard dressing is olive oil, lemon and salt. Sometimes switch to lime in the summer!

If I want something creamy but still sharp I do this one from Ottolenghi:
200ml greek yoghurt
Juice of a lemon
Combine the yoghurt and lemon and let it sit for a while to sour. Then add:

2 crushed cloves garlic (or leave these out and rub the inside of salad bowl with cut garlic clove)
60ml olive oil
2tbsp white wine or cider vinegar
Salt & pepper

You can add some mashed up blue cheese to that one as well if you are making a Cobb salad or want something more substantial.

And finally if I want something creamy but sweeter than the one above, I make green goddess dressing - loads of recipes but this one is good and makes an absolute vat of dressing so it will keep in the fridge for a while: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/bibb-salad-with-basil-green-goddess-dressing-recipe-1947516

Lilacwine1 Wed 23-May-18 08:17:17

Thank you so much. They sound lovely, I shall certainly give them a try.

OP’s posts: |
UrbaneSprawl Wed 23-May-18 13:03:50

We buy Briannas dressings (the honey mustard and the blue cheese one are both great).

If I make from scratch, it’s often a simple vinaigrette, but with sherry vinegar, where others might use balsamic. I sometimes add poppy seeds, allspice, mustard seed etc.

Also ‘green tahini’ - basically light tahini thinned down with a little lemon juice and a shedload of finely chopped parsley added - goes well with tomato and red onion salad.

Taffeta Wed 23-May-18 13:06:15

You need Belazu balsamic vinegar. It’s about £12 a bottle but you have a tiny bit so it lasts ages. It’s incredible - unlike any vinegar I’ve had. That, good ex v oo and seasoning is all we usually bother with.

Eliza9917 Wed 23-May-18 15:37:46

Standard dressing in our house is olive oil, lemon, s&p and sometimes balsamic vinegar.

wombatthewarrior Fri 25-May-18 10:07:21

The dressing I always make is -

Olive Oil
White wine vinegar
Honey
Djon Mustard
Lemon Juice

faringdonmum Fri 25-May-18 10:08:16

Pesto! Delist!

faringdonmum Fri 25-May-18 10:08:43

Delish!

Tigerpit Fri 25-May-18 12:48:27

Do you have a Demijohn store anywhere near you?

I'm on a low fat diet and I buy the fruit vinegars from them and use them as pretty much salad dressings on their own, nothing else needed. I sometimes add a bit of mustard (grainy) if I feel the need, but mostly I use them straight from the bottle. The vinegars are from small producers, so you don't get the same ones all the time. I'm just about finished a bottle of bramble vinegar and it was amazing.

Eolian Fri 25-May-18 12:50:09

Extra virgin olive oil, cider vinegar, wholegrain mustard, salt and pepper.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »