Talk

Advanced search

What relatively unknown local dish do you love?

(8 Posts)
JoshMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 18-May-18 15:14:47

In our Ramadan episode of How We Eat, we found out about haleem - a Pakistani dish (check it out here, it was really tasty! www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YQUneJup7M)

It got us thinking.... What local dish/cuisine do you love that relatively few people know about in this country? For me it's a Ghanian dish called waakye - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waakye

OP’s posts: |
Cuppaqueen Fri 18-May-18 15:30:18

Sichuan dry fried beans 😋 - we live in China and they're on virtually all the local menus. Sooooo good!

happysunr1se Fri 18-May-18 22:33:26

I like Chinese sweet soups like red bean with coconut milk and tangerine peel or mango with condensed milk and Pomelo.

AndMiffyWentToSleep Mon 04-Jun-18 20:48:15

Aw man, I LOVE waakye! And red red! And kelewele. All also Ghanaian. Wish I could cook them myself. It’s been too long...

Blondie1984 Mon 04-Jun-18 23:00:34

A French cake called gateau Basque - a buttery almondy cake which is filled with a creamy custard and some form of dried or preserved fruit like cherries

Weedsnseeds1 Tue 05-Jun-18 22:54:49

Phoenix claws - a Chinese chicken feet dish. Tastes great, sounds awful.
Locally - chitterlings ( pigs intestines) fried and served with vinegar and pepper.
Bath chaps ( cured pig cheeks - like mini York hams)
Thunder and lightning -bread spread with clotted cream and black treacle
Slider -cider infused with the sloes left over from sloe gin

midsomermurderess Wed 06-Jun-18 23:00:37

Cullen Skink, a creamy soup made with haddock and potatoes. Perhaps it's quite well known though.

LapsedHumanist Thu 07-Jun-18 16:32:21

Chiperones in Spain. Little squid.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »