Talk

Advanced search

Easy transportable British starter

(12 Posts)
TricksyLiesmith Tue 15-May-18 14:28:29

We are going for dinner at a friends house this weekend . We are bringing the starter for 8 people . Requirements are something either make ahead or quick to do at someone else's house , no shellfish and a 'best of British ' theme .

Any suggestions!?

OP’s posts: |
glitterbiscuits Tue 15-May-18 14:32:58

Mini leek and Caerphilly cheese quiche?

ErrolTheDragon Tue 15-May-18 14:35:10

It's British asparagus season, so how about asparagus tip and goats cheese tarts? (There are loads of British goats cheeses, we have several local ones)

CryHavoc Tue 15-May-18 14:37:28

Make soup. Easy to transfer, and spring is a perfect time for British veg.

Peachydream Tue 15-May-18 14:37:34

I got Diana Henry's new book and that has themed menus, This was one of her British dishes.

We had it over the weekend and it was amazing- however, very garlicy, I would put less in than the recipe. serve with a bitter salad and dressing.

LIZS Tue 15-May-18 14:38:34

Smoked mackerel pate, smoked salmon, tomato soup,

LockedOutOfMN Tue 15-May-18 14:38:55

Pork pie, quiche or tart with seasonal filling.

WingMirrorSpider Tue 15-May-18 14:39:57

Nice homemade or posh scotch eggs with some nice salad.

TricksyLiesmith Tue 15-May-18 15:05:11

Some great ideas here . I was trying to avoid soup to avoid a Mrs overall situation in the car on the way over despite Tupperware .

Asparagus idea sounds good though. Mini scotch eggs too

TricksyLiesmith Tue 15-May-18 15:06:28

That cheddar tart sounds lovely @Peachydream

FawnDrench Tue 15-May-18 18:55:17

Some lovely ideas here

sashh Thu 17-May-18 12:23:02

Yorkshire pudding and gravy - take the batter with you so you only need to bung it in the oven.

Asparagus wrapped in ham or smoked salon and baked in the oven. I put a layer of mustard between the asparagus and the ham.

Cheese straws - maybe you would need something else with it.

Sheet of puff pastry, buy ready rolled. Light layer of dijon mustard, sprinkle with a grated hard cheese, score with a knife and bake for 10 mins, then break it along the score lines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »