Talk

Advanced search

Anyone work or know anyone who works in a Kebab shop and can get a kebab chilli sauce recipe?

(68 Posts)
nowtheretwo Sat 05-May-18 03:01:36

Hello all,

For years and years I have been trying to find a Kebab chilli sauce recipe and have asked my local kebab shops and they either wont tell me or quickly tell me what they use but then I mess up the ratios and portions as they dont explain that part and it doesnt work.

There are many many many on google and youtube etc and none of them are any good or they come a little close but not very close.

What I have discovered is what they DO NOT USE which is:

Ketchup
Tinned Tomatos
cream
yogurt
sugar
mint
fresh tomatos
mango chutney

What they do use or might use is:

Plain Pizza sauce or plain Passata
Tomato Puree
onion
celery
water
white cabbage
carrot
fresh chillis

---------------------------------------------------

Now most places in Scotland make a terrible chilli sauce using ketchup so for sure dont need that recipe. But most places in England make a nice chilli sauce and really hoping someone on here works in a Kebab shop or knows someone who does and can get an exact recipe.

cdtaylornats Sat 05-May-18 08:10:15

www.amazon.co.uk/Chefs-Larder-Hot-Chilli-Sauce/dp/B0074FP748?tag=mumsnetforum-21

DuchyDuke Sat 05-May-18 08:12:41

Unless eating in a Michelin star all Kebab Chilli sauce is bought. Maggis is popular as it’s cheap but other Indian brands are used.

MargotLovedTom1 Sat 05-May-18 08:16:56

Yeah we have a big bottle in the fridge, along with the yogurt & mint and garlic mayonnaise ones. Can't remember the brand and I'm in bed, but shops like B&M, Home Bargains etc always stock it.

nowtheretwo Sat 05-May-18 14:08:27

Thanks for the replies but I am hoping for recipes that Kebab shops use, sadly some kebab shops dont bother to make their chili sauce fresh or properly and use the awful wholesale ready made chilli sauce.

NCThatsInevitablyGoingToFail Sat 05-May-18 14:09:33

I doubt they make it! Wouldn't they just buy it in?

nowtheretwo Sat 05-May-18 14:19:32

Well most kebab shops in the North of England make it fresh, some places you can see a big bowl of simmering freshly made chilli sauce yum yum!! The odd place uses a awful wholesale chilli sauce sadly.

DuchyDuke Sat 05-May-18 15:15:50

You see Maggi powder / sauce boiling in ketchup with maybe a bit of chilli. My best friend owns a few kebab places in Yorkshire - nobody makes it from scratch.

nowtheretwo Sat 05-May-18 16:21:15

Most places in London and everywhere I have been to in North England make it from scratch.

PavlovaPrincess Sat 05-May-18 16:39:16

I'm in the North of England and I've extensively consumed many a kebab from a range of takeaways and I can categorically state the majority use something similar to this rather than making their own;

http://www.thecrucialsaucecompany.co.uk/our-range/sauce-range/chilli-and-garlic/

nowtheretwo Sat 05-May-18 18:15:10

PavlovaPrincess you must be in a area in the North of England then that uses this as I can categorically state that all the way from the borders of Scotland to Middlesbrough and including Carlisle almost every kebab shop I have been to and I have been to 100's over the last 20 years they have made their own chilli sauce.

DontLetYourKnickersGoGrey Sat 05-May-18 18:16:43

My DP owns a catering company that supplies to chip shops and take always grin

LadyDeadpool Sat 05-May-18 18:17:49

one second let me check if my copy of Takeaway secret has one.

pippitysqueakity Sat 05-May-18 18:19:04

Well, you need to ask at the shop then as you are not believing the answers in this thread.

MissMary0fSweden Sat 05-May-18 18:20:23

Kebab sauce isn't tomatoey is it?

I'd say chillis, garlic, sugar and vinegar in some concoction possibly

LadyDeadpool Sat 05-May-18 18:22:56

200ml tomato sauce
1 teaspoon mint sauce
1 salad tomato quartered
1 small onion quartered
1 red pepper chopped
1/2 tsp mild chilli powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
5 tablespoons mixed fruit cocktail
75ml water

blend everything together until smooth adding more water if needed and set in the fridge for at least 2 hours.

The Takeaway Secret - Kenny McGovern

I know it sounds weird but I've made so much from this book and it's all been identical to a good takeout. If I remember correctly he developed the recipes after he was taken ill with agoraphobia and missed his regular take outs.

PicklingGherkins Sat 05-May-18 18:22:57

I suggest you write to one of these hundreds of homemade kebab sauce kebab shops and ask for their recipe as no-one here will be able to help you.

MissMary0fSweden Sat 05-May-18 18:25:30

I probably use the one kebaberie that makes its sauce completely different to everywhere else grin

PicklingGherkins Sat 05-May-18 18:26:20

Crossed posts with ladydeadpool. I'd give that one a go. Actually I think I might take a look at the book too.

nowtheretwo Sat 05-May-18 18:32:04

Thanks thats the recipe most kebab shops in Scotland use. Although Im not keen on the Ketchup type chilli sauce and prefer the chilli sauce thats made in most kebab shops all the way from the borders of Scotland to Middlesbrough and including Carlisle. Also in most places in London too.

pippitysqueakity obviously I dont belive what some people are saying on this thread as I know the facts that most kebab shops make their own chilli sauce from the borders of Scotland to Middlesbrough and including Carlisle, if you dont believe me just randomly pick a few kebab shops between those areas and call them and ask if they make their own chilli sauce fresh in house and most will confirm they do.

pippitysqueakity Mon 07-May-18 08:39:40

So what’s the point of asking here then instead of the many,many shops?

FabulouslyGlamorousFerret Mon 07-May-18 09:30:48

I think that was very kind of the poster to go and find her book and then copy out the recipe for you op!

BurpeesAreTheWorkOfTheDevil Mon 07-May-18 09:37:37

It's not made from scratch, if there's an Asian cash and carry near you they will usually stock it, I used to work in an Indian takeaway.

Tentomidnight Mon 07-May-18 09:44:32

What a weird thread hmm
It seems that the OP only wants to share their extensive kebab shop knowledge.

northbynorthwesty Mon 07-May-18 09:47:36

Not exactly sure what kind of sauce you want but have a look on line for recipes for a Tunisian dish called harissa ...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »