Talk

Advanced search

Coffee cake disaster

(8 Posts)
Generallyok Sun 29-Apr-18 09:25:07

Help please. I can normally make a fairly decent Victoria sponge but I need to bake a coffee cake for a party and I've had 2 attempts and they are terrible. What am I doing wrong??? Photo attached

OP’s posts: |
SloanePeterson Sun 29-Apr-18 09:27:38

How are you giving the cake the coffee flavour? When I do it I tend to dissolve instant granules in a small amount of boiling water and wait for it to cool before adding it the same way I would vanilla essence. If you do this, it could be that it’s not cooled enough before adding to the mixture?

FluffyWhiteTowels Sun 29-Apr-18 09:29:01

Dissolve coffee granules with the beaten egg ... a Mary Berry tip

FleurDelacoeur Sun 29-Apr-18 09:29:17

Agree with Sloane on the coffee - when adding the coffee I use about four teaspoons of instant granules mixed up in just enough water to dissolve them all. Usually works fine and gives a good coffee flavour.

MarklahMarklah Sun 29-Apr-18 09:31:12

What did you change in the recipe that made it different?
When I last made coffee cake, it was basic Victoria sponge, but with approx 1 tablespoon of strong coffee added, and a little more flour added.

Generallyok Sun 29-Apr-18 09:32:19

Thanks both i have tried both ways. The birds have been a feast with my creations. I'm that close to buying one or DH suggested making a Victoria sponge and adding coffee icing?

OP’s posts: |
LadyPenelope68 Sun 29-Apr-18 09:36:10

Buy coffee essence or use a good quality espresso powder which you just sieve in with the flour. Works brilliantly.

InfiniteSheldon Sun 29-Apr-18 09:37:12

I always use Camp Coffee it makes gorgeous coffee cake. I think it's your oven temp are you opening the door to check? Is your thermostat dodgy? Why don't you make a batch of coffee fairy cakes/muffins they will prob work better

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »