Talk

Advanced search

plain iced butter sponge?

(4 Posts)
FleurDelacoeur Sat 21-Apr-18 18:04:23

Schedule is out for the local agricultural show and I always put in a few entries (with varying degrees of success).

One category this year is : "Plain Iced Butter Sponge (unfilled)" What is this?? My first thoughts was a standard sponge mix, single layer no filling with icing on top?

OP’s posts: |
fleshmarketclose Sat 21-Apr-18 18:13:59

Seems to be a recipe here It looks interesting so I might give it a go.

BalloonFlowers Sat 21-Apr-18 18:25:21

That recipie seems to be very Asian.
I'd go with a plain sponge cake (4/4/4/2 style), but I suspect they are expecting a certain icing (glace?) On top. Can you confirm with someone, or would you just have to make your best guess?

FleurDelacoeur Sat 21-Apr-18 18:30:28

It's a fairly low-key show. I did take a look at that recipe link but it's not the sort of thing they ask for at all - other categories are things like "3 shortbread fingers" and "3 fruit scones".

I have emailed the organiser to clarify but having done a bit of googling I'd think it was the 4.4.4.2 mix as suggested with some plain icing sugar and water icing. Last year they asked for an "egg sponge" which was what I'd call a fatless sponge.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »