Talk

Advanced search

Bento box recommendations

(13 Posts)
5foot5 Wed 18-Apr-18 13:47:56

I would like to try some ideas I have seen recently for lunches in a Bento box style. Not Japanese food especially but several little things arranged in a pleasing style.

Most of the pictures I have seen have been using boxes which are divided into little compartments inside.

What I wondered is does someone know of a style of box that can be "reconfigured", i.e. that the inside can be adjusted as required to have 1, 2, 3, 4 or more separate bits depending on what you want to serve.

I do have lots of little plastic bits and bobs that could go inside a bigger box but I just think it will look more appetising like this. I have looked on Lakeland and Pret a Pacquet and couldn't quite see what I am after

OP’s posts: |
GreenthoughtInAGreenShade Wed 18-Apr-18 14:00:39

I haven't got (yet) because of the price, but saw recommended on MN a little while ago this: Leakproof Bentobox and it's been on my wishlist ever since.

Apparently it is brilliant as it forms a leak-proof seal at the top, so you can put soup/yoghurt etc in some of the compartments without needing separate box lids for them.

5foot5 Wed 18-Apr-18 17:29:45

That one does look lovely but I am not sure it will be big enough for an adult portion.

OP’s posts: |
KirstenRaymonde Wed 18-Apr-18 17:32:12

Get a Monbento. They hold much more than you think they will. Large silicone cupcake mould’s are good for separating things as well.

KirstenRaymonde Wed 18-Apr-18 17:34:06

Or try Bento and Co - there’s literally every kind you can think of. It’s a rabbit hole.

LadyPenelope68 Wed 18-Apr-18 17:35:20

I have the one greenthought has linked to, and it’s perfectly sized for an adult IMO. I love mine!

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 19-Apr-18 10:34:00

www.qdstores.co.uk/products/bento-box-1-1l-turquoise.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_ODWBRCTARIsAE2_EvXi7ThVoIJtH5RKa3MvsMDCqiLyw3mjI2pqaS61BEa_dcWkfitL_osaAkPCEALw_wcB#fo_c=2271&fo_k=241547123b13cab21748766b5e95184f&fo_s=gplauk
I use this style a lot. You can fit an amazing amount in and they don't leak.
Silicone baking cups work well to "configure" an existing box as they are flexible.

sashh Thu 19-Apr-18 16:43:01

I have a couple, the one I like best is similar to this:

www.amazon.co.uk/Minidiva-Box-Leakproof-Microwave-Dishwasher-Containers/dp/B019OHR1OM/ref=sr_1_26?keywords=bento+box&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1524152414&sr=8-26

Mine was muc cheaper, I prefer it because it controls what I'm eating, so carb in one, protein in another. fruit and veg and room for a treat.

I find that rather than having movable dividers it is as easy to just put small tupperware in an insulated bag.

BlueTablecloth Fri 20-Apr-18 17:09:07

yumboxes (above) are great however- my 5 year old has her lunch in one!

sendcoffee Fri 20-Apr-18 19:45:58

I was just going to say the same as above!
I love my DS's yumbox, but he's 3. Not big enough for an adult lunch I wouldn't think.

Summertime10 Tue 24-Apr-18 21:28:43

Yumbox Tapas is a bigger style box.

NotAnotherJaffaCake Tue 24-Apr-18 21:34:13

You can just use a normal clip style box with dividers. I use silicon baking cups (round and square),lettuce and other foods to partition off space. Check out lunchinabox.net and justbento.com.

eBay is good to find cheap proper bento boxes.

NotAnotherJaffaCake Tue 24-Apr-18 21:37:18

Recommended size of bento box for adult females is 600ml, according to the Japanese government:

onabentofrenzy.blogspot.co.uk/2008/06/how-to-select-right-size-bento-box.html

A Yumbox is bigger!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »