Talk

Advanced search

Alternative to wheat for kids packed lunch?

(14 Posts)
stirling Tue 17-Apr-18 14:15:39

Can't seem to find any alternative wraps, plus the only bread is GF which kids don't like..
Occasionally I'd like to give them a break from wheat sandwiches day in day out... Used to make up flasks with rice but haven't got the energy to do that anymore...

Thanks in advance

OP’s posts: |
ILoveMyMonkey Tue 17-Apr-18 14:18:59

Warburtons do gluten free sandwich thins and wraps which are pretty good - I get them in Tesco but I'm sure I was able to get them in Sainsbury's too.

colditz Tue 17-Apr-18 14:19:33

potato salad

RatRolyPoly Tue 17-Apr-18 14:21:54

Rice cakes. I know, I know, dull as dishwater.

Tesco do their own brand gluten free bagels - they're good. They also sell "BFree" gluten free pittas and various wraps, including sweet potato wraps.

stirling Tue 17-Apr-18 14:31:51

Also, if there is an alternative you know of could you please let me know where to get it from? Thanks

stirling Tue 17-Apr-18 14:47:03

Oh brilliant suggestions! Going to start by making some potato salad tomorrow smile

Bellabutterfly2016 Tue 17-Apr-18 15:05:39

How about frittata for a change? Nice and tasty 😋

LittlePotSoonHot Tue 17-Apr-18 15:36:05

I make cloud bread (oopsie rolls). They take 5 mins to make and 40 mins in oven. Last about 3-4 days on counter.

https://www.tasteaholics.com/recipes/low-carb-keto/basic-oopsie-rolls/

RatRolyPoly Tue 17-Apr-18 16:00:34

Buckwheat makes a nice salad actually (it's not wheat), as do lentils, chickpeas and other pulses. You're giving me ideas now!

DuchyDuke Tue 17-Apr-18 16:10:07

Assuming they are allergic / intolerent and love bread - safest thing to do is make your own bread. I make my own rye-bread / millet bread etc. Can sub in GF flour when needed. I’m Indian though and was trained by my gran in the various traditional (gluten free) flours of India: Millet / corn is the hardest to work with, needs extra salt, and requires a lot of kneading for the dough to come together. Rice flour makes the best steamed bread / dumplings - but need to let it soak in sour cream or sour yoghurt for a few hours. Chickpea flour is amazing but won’t rise - so best for omlette like wraps.

stirling Wed 18-Apr-18 10:08:29

Thanks everyone, great suggestions

kateandme Wed 18-Apr-18 11:56:30

what about samasos.
chicken ceaser salad
frittata
little rostis
rice noodle salads
butternut squash lentil salad
fishcakes
veggie burgers.

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 19-Apr-18 13:10:50

Corn tortillas ( check label as some have a mix of wheat and corn)
Rice salad
Rice noodles
Onion bhaji ( check only gram flour used)

sashh Thu 19-Apr-18 16:36:28

Home made rice balls with a filling in, corn bread, chapati/roti.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »