Talk

Advanced search

Vegetarian lunch box ideas

(10 Posts)
hmcAsWas Mon 16-Apr-18 07:38:14

DD (15) has decided to become vegetarian (we are a week in and she seems committed). She is quite a faddy eater so hurrah for the added challenge of vegetarianism (not) - although perhaps it might work out well if in order to eat she now needs to embrace other foods!

In her packed lunch she used to take a large ish section of baguette with either chicken, tuna, ham etc in it. This morning I have put in a large ish piece of baguette with grated cheese and marmite - but can't keep repeating that day in day out. She has suggested strawberry jam as a filling for another day and lemon curd for another day hmm

The rest of her lunch box isn't a problem - packet of crisps, 2 or 3 pieces of fruit and a club biscuit or similar, its just the 'core' item I am struggling with

She eats a reasonable range of fruit and vegetables but isn't keen on tomatoes (likes tomatoes in cooked meals such as pasta sauce or casserole but doesn't love whole or part tomatoes - might be texture), doesn't like berries, doesn't like mushrooms and wouldn't do olives

Any advice gratefully received - I admire her choice and would like to support her

OP’s posts: |
HuckfromScandal Mon 16-Apr-18 07:41:28

Hummus
Egg
Roasted peppers
Cheese
Salad

HuckfromScandal Mon 16-Apr-18 07:42:33

I’m vegan
It gets way harder to be imagintive! I eat a lot of soup for lunch. How about getting a food flask and doing soup?

Saisong Mon 16-Apr-18 07:44:07

Wraps or pittas to alternate with baguettes. Fillings - different cheeses (halloumi, cream cheese etc), grated carrot, nut butters (if permitted), hummus, roast peppers.

Cooked pasta and soups in a flask.

Bolshybookworm Mon 16-Apr-18 07:57:40

Wrap with mini falafel, yogurt and salad?

I have to admit that I ate marmite sandwiches for about 5 years straight at school and still take them in if I’m in a rush to get to work blush

sashh Mon 16-Apr-18 07:58:43

Humus and pittta bread.

Rice balls, there are Japanese and Italian versions.

Eggs, with a couple of boiled eggs or egg and mayo baguette, or a variety of cheeses.

Falafel, lettuce and creme fresh, cucumber, salad, tomato baguette.

Chopped veg and a dip.
Vegi samosas.
Veg curry - can be eaten cold.
Frittata.
Stuffed tomatoes, take the top off a tomato, use a teaspoon to get the seeds out and then fill with, humus or sour cream and chives, or - well you get the idea.

Pie or quiche or pasty.

Pasta salad.

Bean salad - make your own or buy in a tin.

FindingNormal Mon 16-Apr-18 08:03:01

If she's used to chicken in her sandwiches why not try quorn slices? Their cocktail sausages and picnic eggs are good for lunchboxes too (don't work for them honest!)

Nicpem1982 Mon 16-Apr-18 08:06:28

Hummus and grated carrot wrap
Quinoa Buddha bowl
Stuffed vine leaves olives and flat bread
Spinach and feta falafel
Green lentil and feta salad
Quorn baguette
Soft cheese and roasted red pepper on seeded bread
Quiche
Frittata
Soup in a flask
Dahl in a flask
Potato salad
Greek salad

hmcAsWas Mon 16-Apr-18 09:22:33

A good few suggestions here that could well go down well. Thank you all

OP’s posts: |
Claire90ftm Fri 27-Apr-18 17:15:53

You get quorn "meat" slices. My favourite is peppered beef, but there's chicken and ham. You can also get quorn "chicken" pieces to eat cold. These can be put in the baguette.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »