Talk

Advanced search

Slow cooker "roast beef". Will this work?

(6 Posts)
IamHappy1976 Sat 14-Apr-18 20:13:04

If I put 1.4kg of "beef roasting joint" in the slow cooker on top of half a dozen carrots and pour over a packet of Coleman's beef casserole mix with water and leave for 8 hours on low, will I end up with tender beef? I was going to oven cook it but my plans have changed.

OP’s posts: |
BlackForestCake Sat 14-Apr-18 22:42:10

It will be extremely tender and probably delicious, but not much like roast beef IMO. If you're going to do it anyway I would add an onion or two, a bay leaf and a splash of wine.

Alabasterangel6 Sat 14-Apr-18 22:47:33

It’ll be ‘shreddy’ like pulled pork.

Maybe you already have the meat but to save £++ in future the cheapest way to do this is get a brisket joint.

Otherwise cubes of steak which make lovely lobby/lob scouse type meal.

You won’t be able to slow cook a beef like that which then slices. If you do it and shred it, it’s nice as the filling to a giant Yorkshire.

I wouldn’t bother with a ‘mix’ either. Just meat and stock cube, then retain some of the juice once cooked and make a quick gravy with the meat juice and flour

Wolfiefan Sat 14-Apr-18 22:50:31

I use a recipe from allrecipes. Riko's brisket. Melt in the mouth.

IamHappy1976 Sat 14-Apr-18 23:10:02

Thanks. Dp doesn't like onion. Dsd doesn't trust casserole. We all like gravy. And carrots. Only using the Coleman's mix as a gateway to a potential steak pie. DD eats almost everything. I lke steak pie :-) I get it isn't roast beef, but hoping for soft beef all can enjoy?

OP’s posts: |
Alabasterangel6 Sat 14-Apr-18 23:44:17

It’ll be very soft. Yes. But it won’t be sliceable. More shreddable.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »