Talk

Advanced search

Please help, accidentally turned the oven off!

(6 Posts)
swimminginthesea Mon 09-Apr-18 17:31:30

Making a gulasch, and after 20 minutes of it being in the oven, I realised the oven was off! I guess I turned it off in a (typically) absent-minded moment while I was cleaning up the kitchen, so it was probably off for 10, max 15 minutes.

I immediately turned it back on again, obviously - will it be ok? Surely not enough time for the meat to have been sitting in weird bacteria-growing-danger-zone of temperature? I took the lid off to have a peak and gusts of steam came out, which I took to mean it was still quite hot in there.

I'm sorry if this is a really stupid question - actually I sort of hope it is. I hate cooking meat and have definite OCD anxiety about giving people food poisoning. My rational brain is telling me the oven wouldn't have had time to cool down much, but my anxious brain is worrying that I have made some sort of e-coli stew.

Sorry. I am such a twat sometimes.

OP’s posts: |
Caulk Mon 09-Apr-18 17:34:00

It’s fine.

Get Help for your anxiety.

Userplusnumbers Mon 09-Apr-18 17:34:26

It's fine. Honestly.

AlpacaLypse Mon 09-Apr-18 17:34:32

Don't worry, if steam was still blasting out it was probably still cooking away in the latent heat of the oven. They take ages to cool down if the door is closed.

swimminginthesea Mon 09-Apr-18 17:36:26

Thank you blush. God, it's annoying being me.

OP’s posts: |
AlpacaLypse Tue 10-Apr-18 23:38:58

How was supper OP? smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »