Talk

Advanced search

Smoked Chickpeas

(12 Posts)
incywincybitofa Sun 08-Apr-18 16:04:22

I tried a smoked chickpea hummus last week and it seems some of the chickpeas rather than the hummus was smoked.
I was just wondering if anyone had any recipes or tips for smoking chickpeas I have a small smoker I can dig out

OP’s posts: |
pestilentialboundary Sun 08-Apr-18 16:09:21

Found one weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/smoked-chickpeas-for-hummus/?PHPSESSID=b68d9ac4c5e88d87b95b7585f4fd026e sounds tempting will check it out later in the week.

incywincybitofa Sun 08-Apr-18 17:05:54

It does look tempting, that post is right there is a smoked chicken flavour to the hummus.
Thanks

MsRinky Sun 08-Apr-18 17:54:53

I just cheat and add a smidge of liquid smoke.

pestilentialboundary Sun 08-Apr-18 18:52:36

shock

I tend to just add smoked paprika grin

incywincybitofa Sun 08-Apr-18 21:31:09

See I am not just after a hint of smoke, it's the taste of the smoked chickpeas it was really nice. But adding smoke or paprika is an option for other days, I do like a good hummus recipe

pestilentialboundary Sun 08-Apr-18 21:57:53

If you like experimenting with hummus type dishes try these hodmedods.co.uk/collections/beans/products/split-fava-beans add tahini etc as usual.

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 14-Apr-18 11:13:54

Put your cooked chickpeas, drained, in a pan with a lid. Heat a small piece of charcoal in the gas flame or with a blow torch until it's white at the edges ( whole coal doesn't need to be white). Have a small heatproof container or a petal of thick onion, with a teaspoon of oil, sitting on the chickpeas.
Place coal in oil. Cover with lid.
Have your extractor on and windows open. May be a good idea to open pan outside to avoid smoke detectors going off!
You need 3-5 minutes depending how smokey you want it.

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 14-Apr-18 11:16:49

Oh and if you have an Asian grocer, have a look for black chickpeas. They have a naturally smokey flavour.

incywincybitofa Sat 14-Apr-18 12:45:35

Thanks Weeds sounds like something I need to wait until the school holidays are over to try. I have never seen black chickpeas
And Thank you for that link Pestilential

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 14-Apr-18 15:04:28

www.ruchiskitchen.com/recipe/smoked-dal-tadka/
This technique.
Black chickpeas are also called Bengal gram or Kala channa

pestilentialboundary Sun 15-Apr-18 10:08:52

Weeds that is brilliant, thanks grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »