Talk

Advanced search

Frozen cheese!?

(8 Posts)
Tobuyornot99 Fri 06-Apr-18 20:46:28

I seem to spend my life grating bloody cheese. Can I put a big block or 2 through the food processor then freeze in a big bag and take out as necessary? Or is this a completely ridiculous idea that will just result in soggy, icy cheese disasters?
Thanks is advance.

OP’s posts: |
Orangedaisy Fri 06-Apr-18 20:50:50

Never tried it myself but I have heard you can. Do a test mini-block.

HSMMaCM Fri 06-Apr-18 21:37:59

I've frozen grated cheese. It's fine.

PinkDucks Fri 06-Apr-18 21:40:46

I do this all the time but I only use it for cooking, not sure how it’d work on a sandwich if left to just defrost

greatbigwho Fri 06-Apr-18 21:44:39

We buy grated cheese (don't shoot me! Only the pizza mix because that's all we eat and not fast enough for it not to go mouldy) and it freezes really well, but it does have some kind of powdery coating so it doesn't all clump together.

Could you try freezing it spread out on a tray before decanting in to a bag?

Tobuyornot99 Fri 06-Apr-18 21:44:40

A test block is a great idea Orange.
It's mostly for cooking and feeding a toddler, she's no high class foodie so I'll probably get away with it wink thanks for the replies.

OP’s posts: |
Clutterbugsmum Fri 06-Apr-18 22:05:02

Yes you can, in fact it's better to freeze grated then in a block as with it frozen in a block becomes very crumbly when defrosted.

DandelionAndBedrock Fri 06-Apr-18 22:08:30

Yup, I did it once when DP and I both spotted a great offer on cheese and we ended up with several kilos...

Grate, line a baking tray with greaseproof paper, spread the cheese on the tray and freeze like that, then bag up when frozen. Stops the strands all stocking together.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »